I went overboard on chipping. Can I fix it?

AlbertD

I have my Tamiya Birdcage Corsair gathering dust on the shelf. I used chipping fluid but it's way overdone and I don't like the way it looks. I did a layer of aluminum and chipping fluid then a layer of zinc chromate primer with chipping fluid then color coat.

I was thinking of just doing a bit of light sanding and re-paint the areas. Is this my best approach? 

I've read that a lot of Pacific landing-strips were made out of crushed coral. When an aircraft's propeller got it flying around, it acted like very coarse sandpaper and reduced exposed areas of the planes to a nearly-naked state. 

Is the chipping as "bad/overdone" as you're thinking?

I also read that the Japanese fighters had paint dropping off in big clumps, mainly due to the very poor-quality paint used and the "sand-blast" effect of flying coral pieces.

Cheers. 

Chris. 

13 hours ago, AlbertD said:

Here are a couple of pictures. Now that I look at it after all these months it may not be too bad.Chipping-1.jpgChipping-2.jpg

ok i see what you mean

it's not that these Corsairs weren't chipped to hell, but that just looks quite 'clumsy'

the amount of chipped area is too great, but for me the killer is that it's basically one or two giant chips that just look like a map Westeros over the wing

the trick is to aim for lots and lots of mini chips, albeit some are just quite close together

if that was me i would indeed do over - the wing bend line is a natural starting point for a complete repaint, and that way you keep the rest of the model intact

i would also use hairspray rather than chipping fluid, but that's just me

best of luck!

6 hours ago, nmayhew said:

ok i see what you mean

it's not that these Corsairs weren't chipped to hell, but that just looks quite 'clumsy'

the amount of chipped area is too great, but for me the killer is that it's basically one or two giant chips that just look like a map Westeros over the wing

the trick is to aim for lots and lots of mini chips, albeit some are just quite close together

if that was me i would indeed do over - the wing bend line is a natural starting point for a complete repaint, and that way you keep the rest of the model intact

i would also use hairspray rather than chipping fluid, but that's just me

best of luck!

When I re-do it I'll try hairspray.