MPC Snowspeeder

Alain Gadbois

5 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Very nice work! 

The 3D parts really add to the effect in a major way.

Thank you! 

Those 3D parts are a game changer for this kit, as the original cockpit is truly beyond saving and scratch building it, plus the figures, would be more work than all the exterior in my opinion.

Alain

"Hobbie, I'm hit!"  Great work Alain, and I echo what others have said about the 3D parts being great upgrades.  The Battle of Hoth is one of my favorite scenes from the movies and extremely well done; it still holds up today more than 40 years after it was filmed.

Ernest

On 12/10/2022 at 1:53 AM, Greif8 said:

"Hobbie, I'm hit!"  Great work Alain, and I echo what others have said about the 3D parts being great upgrades.  The Battle of Hoth is one of my favorite scenes from the movies and extremely well done; it still holds up today more than 40 years after it was filmed.

Ernest

Thank you very much Ernest!

Empire Strikes Back is such a great movie. Many scenes of the chapter on Hoth stand out in my memory. As when the AT ATs first appear in the distance, looming menacingly, slowly moving forward. Also a really beautiful shot of the Falcon, after escaping the ice hangar, flying past Luke, slowly climbing, and then suddenly piching up to escape the planet!

Alain

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Time for a new update!

I detailed the areas that were so bare in the kit with styrene rods and various bits to imitate what I could make out on the pictures I had of the right hand side.

e5HKeww.jpg

I made the left side similar but with variations of details.

5uudQbU.jpg

Still need to add more to the rear side of these parts, but getting there!

c3eapBq.jpg

One of my 3D print parts, as I took it out of its ziplock, exhibited a sticky substance covering all its right hand corner. Was cleaned-up with 99% alcohol, but can still see some in the angles…

NxT4IFQ.jpg

Turning over the part, I discovered a deformation in the resin and a prick with a X-acto revealed a void that had obviously been filled with uncured resin. I cleaned it also, but to be certain no more turns up, I will drill in a few thick places to find possible more uncured masses.

This has already happened with thick printed parts before, so beware!

Luckily, no painting or assembly had occurred, otherwise fixing this might have been impossible.

alZ7w4f.jpg

bye for now!

Alain

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, a satisfying milestone has been reached!
All the extra detail on the top surface is done.

uPZNLTs.jpg

First coat of primer.

C4cmOVB.jpg

Overall view of the top half. Some small areas to work on to remove small defects, but quite nice in general.

zqYXkMU.jpg

Next is to get on with the interior!

Alain