Build #2 for 2022 - The USS Barb, 1944 (1/144)

ChuckD

As I mentioned in another thread, I set a New Year's resolution goal to finish 8 model kits this year (and a corollary goal of building down my model stash... ha!).  In something of a paradox, I've found that the more practice I get at doing these, the longer it takes me to complete them.  One would expect the opposite, but the tendency is towards more detailing, more advanced and plentiful weathering, etc.  That, combined with an increasing desire to give a vehicle context by some kind of groundwork has led to me completing things at a snail's pace.  Plus, I have about 15 different hobbies, a family, full time job, and so on, and so on, and so on.

But enough about that.  A couple weekends ago, I put the finishing touches on my first ever attempt at a seascape.  I'm pretty happy with the results, but definitely learned a lot of lessons to apply to the next go.  This is my rendition of the USS Barb (SS-220) in 1/144 scale as she would have appeared in mid-1944.  I only found one picture of her in this configuration, and I make no pretenses of being an expert on all the nuances of the Gato class submarine, so consider any errors to be creative license.  

Base kit is the Trumpeter 1944 Gato with White Ensign Models PE set.  

USS-Barb-1944-final-01.jpg

USS-Barb-1944-final-02.jpg

USS-Barb-1944-final-03.jpg

USS-Barb-1944-final-04.jpg

USS-Barb-1944-final-05.jpg

USS-Barb-1944-final-06.jpg

USS-Barb-1944-final-07.jpg

USS-Barb-1944-final-08.jpg

USS-Barb-1944-final-09.jpg

USS-Barb-1944-final-10.jpg

USS-Barb-1944-final-11.jpg

USS-Barb-1944-final-12.jpg

USS-Barb-1944-final-13.jpg

USS-Barb-1944-final-14.jpg

USS-Barb-1944-final-15.jpg

USS-Barb-1944-final-16.jpg

On 7/30/2022 at 6:33 AM, ChuckD said:

Sweet!  Post pics please.  I've thought about grabbing that 1/72 Gato kit in numerous occasions but have never pulled the trigger.  How is it?

It's a good kit, but I've scratchbuilt the stern, deck, and fairwater, so there's not a lot of the kit left! I'll take pics when I'm able.

Cheers,  Tom

• 1 month later...