Mitsubishi A6M2 Reisen, PO1C Tetsuzo Iwamoto, Zuikaku Fighter Squadron

Uncarina

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2022 at 12:10 PM, chuck540z3 said:

Really nice work on that engine Tom!  I'm surprised to see how close the "Nakajima Sakae engine" looks so close to the P&W R2800, but of course I shouldn't be, since radial engine technology was (and is) so universal.  There's lots of pics of the Japanese with American aircraft before the war, so I'm sure a lot was copied- maybe both ways?

Getting that engine done must be really satisfying, allowing you to move on with the rest of the build, knowing that a key component is both finished and very well done.

Cheers,

Chuck

Maybe, you mean R2600, or similar, definitely not R2800 looking,by any means, hahahaha

NICE, rendition of a Salad engine regardless! Model on Bro, @Uncarina

1 hour ago, John1 said:

Any updates to share with the class?

Thanks for checking in John. I just got back into town after ten days on the road, so I’m a bit behind. However, I do have the airframe assembled, and am starting on the landing gear. Pics this week!

Cheers,  Tom

2 hours ago, Kaeone57 said:

Maybe, you mean R2600, or similar, definitely not R2800 looking,by any means, hahahaha

NICE, rendition of a Salad engine regardless! Model on Bro, @Uncarina

Dang spellcheck! I sent pics of my trip to a friend, he wrote “your trip looks idiotic” when he meant “idyllic”. I still crack up about that.

Cheers,  Tom

"Locating the engine close to the cockpit didn’t just save weight, it made the Zero more maneuverable as well., The centers of gravity and the aerodynamic center of lift lie at points very near the cockpit and serve as the fulcrum through which the empennage acts as a lever. Keeping the engine close to the fulcrum allowed the aft fuselage to be shorter and save a bit more weight. The elevator retained enough leverage to push the Zero into a tight turn or loop when the pilot hauled back the stick.Wing loading, the weight supported by each square foot of an aircraft’s wing in level flight, also impacts maneuverability. Less wing loading generally means quicker maneuvering because there is less inertia to overcome when the pilot moves the controls to pitch, roll, and yaw the aircraft. At 24.3 lb/ft², the A6M2 Zero had a lower wing loading than the Grumman F4F-4 Wildcat at 28.6 lb/ft². "

https://airandspace.si.edu/stories/editorial/mitsubishi-a6m-zero-fighter

It has been a while since my last update, but I've managed to assemble the airframe, so painting shouldn't be too far away. I've opened the pilot's steps and handholds to add some visual interest, and will be adding these at the end of the build. At this point I will be concentrating on the landing gear and canopy. I must admit that with the airframe silver highlighting the details, I've been tempted to use this as the final color. Maybe for my next build!

TdIUN3g.jpg

xAs4sMK.jpg

K5iDmP5.jpg

Cheers,  Tom

• 1 month later...

Catching up on your great Zero build, Tom!  The cockpit and engine look superb! Are you using the Airframe Aluminum as a base for chipping or is it just primer of sorts?

On 3/10/2022 at 10:50 AM, Uncarina said:

I first used AK Real Colors on my Shiden-Kai build, and something I've noticed is that I need around a 15:1 thinner-paint ratio, using the AK High Compatibility Thinner. Other than that the coverage and consistency are good. Until next time!

I've been using both Tamiya Lacquer Thinner and Mr Leveling Thinner with the AK Real Colors paints and have not noticed the need for those super high thinner ratios.  Seemed to behave very similar to Tamiya and Gunze Acrylics.

11 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Catching up on your great Zero build, Tom!  The cockpit and engine look superb! Are you using the Airframe Aluminum as a base for chipping or is it just primer of sorts?

I've been using both Tamiya Lacquer Thinner and Mr Leveling Thinner with the AK Real Colors paints and have not noticed the need for those super high thinner ratios.  Seemed to behave very similar to Tamiya and Gunze Acrylics.

Thanks very much John! It’s been my go to primer for some time: easy to apply, good adhesion, and a good substrate for chipping if I need to. In this case I won’t be doing much because of the high quality paints of these early war aircraft. I’ll have to experiment with those thinners.

10 hours ago, dennismcc said:

This is looking great, it reminds me that I really must build another Zero, the last one I built was the very old Hasgawa kit in the 1980's.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis! This is such a beautiful and important aircraft from an aeronautical engineering standpoint that it deserves a place in your hanger. Plus it would be great to see you work your magic on her!

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

• 1 year later...
Posted (edited)

Happy New Year everyone! Bit of an update for this Reisen: I’ve added paint using the MRP line but cross-referenced with the AK Real Color equivalents which were vetted by Nicholas Stillman. I chose the former because of it’s proven adhesion, something I’ll need for the masking ahead. I did notice a big difference with the MRP choice of cowling color (too blue) so I added black to compensate.

nGF1jZN.jpg

du0Rju3.jpg

WspsiPh.jpg

mVcGJrA.jpg

Next up will be adding the landing gear and the hinomarus. Stay tuned!

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

Happy New Year to you Tom, and nice topic digging! 
I know absolutely nothing about "Zero", but yours looks superb!
The colors are magnificent and I'm speechless at the precision of the engraving on this model...
I can't wait to see what happens next!