Mitsubishi A6M2 Reisen, PO1C Tetsuzo Iwamoto, Zuikaku Fighter Squadron

Uncarina

4 hours ago, Furie said:

Happy New Year to you Tom, and nice topic digging! 
I know absolutely nothing about "Zero", but yours looks superb!
The colors are magnificent and I'm speechless at the precision of the engraving on this model...
I can't wait to see what happens next!

Thank you Denis! I’ve used the Nicholas Millman PDF “Painting the Early Zero-Sen” as a main reference, and I agree about the kit: I marvel every time I look at the surface detail.

4 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

:coolio::popcorn::speak_cool:

:) Thanks!

3 hours ago, dennismcc said:

Looking good, no superb would be a better choice of wording.

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you Dennis!

Cheers,  Tom

...And another update for today: legs! Yesterday I realized that I started this build in 2017, making it my oldest SOD rescue so far, so I am pleased to be making progress.

vdZcpuO.jpg

Zy9BFqx.jpg

Since no one currently makes wheels for the A6M2* I used the Eduard A6M5 wheelset and sanded off the tread. Per Ryan's Tweak List I painted the lower part of the landing gear and covers in the Amber J3 main color while the oleos and upper struts are gloss black. Next up will be applying masks and painting the markings.

Cheers,  Tom

*MDC has had a set but I tried purchasing them without success a few years ago.

Great to see this one sailing to the finish line, Tom!

One little confusion on my side regarding the colour of the landing gear:
As far as I understood the Tweak List, only the small trapezoid thigy connecting the gear to the cover should be Amber. The lower part of the strut should be black?

I think, there were pictures with the lower strut in black, as well.

Cheers,

Joachim

That is looking wonderful Tom! Gosh, when one sees the delicate surface details of the kit under a coat of AS-12 you really have to marvel at what Mr Tamiya created in this model. You are doing it great justice, and you have nailed the shade of 'grey'. 

4 hours ago, Fanes said:

As far as I understood the Tweak List, only the small trapezoid thigy connecting the gear to the cover should be Amber. The lower part of the strut should be black?

Cheers,

Joachim

Good catch Joachim - I believe you have understood it correctly...

7 hours ago, Fanes said:

Cheers,

Joachim

Thank you Joachim!

From the Tweak List:

Section 35

• The oleo torque links H2 and H3 can be painted either black or aluminum.
  • The roughly rectangular piece moulded as part of the lower landing gear and to which the lower wheel well cover is attached should not be painted black but is actually painted in the same colour as the rest of the plane’s exterior.

Cheers,  Tom

2 hours ago, Madmax said:

That is looking wonderful Tom! Gosh, when one sees the delicate surface details of the kit under a coat of AS-12 you really have to marvel at what Mr Tamiya created in this model. You are doing it great justice, and you have nailed the shade of 'grey'. 

Good catch Joachim - I believe you have understood it correctly...

Max I am humbled by your remarks, especially considering that it was your original work that inspired me! Regarding the strut colors, please see the previous comment from the Tweak List.

Cheers,  Tom

Now that I reflect on your observations Joachim, I realized that I have been interpreting the “roughly rectangular piece” to be the entire lower strut since it has a rectangular cross section, and not just the part that attaches to the door. 

Cheers,  Tom

Posted (edited)

Thank you Max! And thanks to you and Joachim both for getting me back on track. I’ll make that fix today. By the way, here’s a great reference I just found for anyone interested in modeling the Type 21 Reisen: https://www.ipmsottawa.com/files/A6M2_Guide_Low_Tagaya_F.pdf

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

8 minutes ago, mywifehatesmodels said:

This is really coming together nicely, Tom. Keep up the great work!

John

Thank you John, I appreciate your support! Not long now, and it'll feel great finishing a seven year build.

Cheers,  Tom

After masking, painting, touching up, applying touch ups to the touch ups, I've added the major markings:

p64zyDy.jpg

51cvbC9.jpg

4iT4ij5.jpg

pQDUEwW.jpg

This last photo really demonstrates the virtue of masks vs. decals. Besides being easier to correct, painted markings complement the surface detail vs. obscuring it, and this is really demonstrated with the Tamiya kits. Moving forward, I'll be working on the propellors, canopy, and stencils.

Cheers,  Tom