Border 1/32 Lancaster Out of the box Review. Guess its here

ironman1945

2 hours ago, mozart said:

I’m not a great fan of these “what’s in the box” reviews so rarely manage to view one all the way through, but from the bits that I have seen I’ve yet to see a sprue with clear parts. The turrets and canopy are important features of the Lanc so they need to be good, and I don’t doubt they will be but I’d like to be reassured! Is an H2S dome included I wonder? 

Go to 41 minutes in Max, 2 lovely clear sprues with the second sprue having the dome attached.  Just hope it's not Dragon brittle type clear parts that's all I'm saying :doh:

Regards. Andy 

11 hours ago, Jack said:

okay then.....give me the difference between a "border " Lancaster and a "HKM" kit giving the large difference in price to be paid for.........

IMHO this is going out of comparison, and i don't even know the Border issue, but seeing and having a HKM Lanc myself it looks like the Border kit would have to be a "gold" item..........

Well, actually, you can ask the same question about available Corsair or Mustang kits! This will always be a tricky question as this mixes fully different dimensions such as the emotional interest in a topic, the amount of money you can possibly dedicate, the comparison of the cost/value ratio with similar kits, the interest in accuracy or level of detail, etc. As we assess individually all those dimensions in a different way, it is impossible to say if this is 'too expensive' as such. Last, I know that WnW was seemingly willing to sell it cheaper. However, when I'm looking at the price of their WW1 large kits and the fact they were globally containing half of the amount of parts, I'm really questioning if this would have been the case. Probably it would have been cheaper but not that much.

Just now, thierry laurent said:

Well, actually, you can ask the same question about available Corsair or Mustang kits! This will always be a tricky question as this mixes fully different dimensions such as the emotional interest in a topic, the amount of money you can possibly dedicate, the comparison of the cost/value ratio with similar kits, the interest in accuracy or level of detail, etc. As we assess individually all those dimensions in a different way, it is impossible to say if this is 'too expensive' as such. Last, I know that WnW was seemingly willing to sell it cheaper. However, when I'm looking at the price of their WW1 large kits and the fact there were globally containing half of the amount of parts, I'm really questioning if this would have been the case. Probably it would have been cheaper but not that much.

Agree, I think WNW would have sold the kit for around the same price considering what you get. Not my cup of tea but I'm glad it's seen daylight for those that want the ultimate Lanc in their stash.

3 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Go to 41 minutes in Max, 2 lovely clear sprues with the second sprue having the dome attached.  Just hope it's not Dragon brittle type clear parts that's all I'm saying :doh:

Regards. Andy 

It would have been nice to see the clear parts reviewed in Andy´s HHQ video as the ones in the MBK video are badly damaged and scratched.. 

3 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Well, actually, you can ask the same question about available Corsair or Mustang kits! This will always be a tricky question as this mixes fully different dimensions such as the emotional interest in a topic, the amount of money you can possibly dedicate, the comparison of the cost/value ratio with similar kits, the interest in accuracy or level of detail, etc. As we assess individually all those dimensions in a different way, it is impossible to say if this is 'too expensive' as such. Last, I know that WnW was seemingly willing to sell it cheaper. However, when I'm looking at the price of their WW1 large kits and the fact they were globally containing half of the amount of parts, I'm really questioning if this would have been the case. Probably it would have been cheaper but not that much.

True, true..........-_-

On 2/15/2022 at 10:02 AM, J.C. said:

You can actually purchase tickets to take a flight in the Hamilton Lancaster. Not cheap, but one insane experience!! The other aircraft in the museum are pretty awesome as well. Enjoy!

In the early 90s I got a ride in it for free. They were at our base for the 50th Anniversary of 419 Sqdn, a squadron mate and I charged their batteries one evening. My mate slipped and banged his head on a wet floor carrying the batteries out. They felt so bad for us (him) they got us up in the Lanc for the flypast. There is a popular image of this flypast and I’m in the Lanc at the time (with CF-5 Bruce the Moose in formation).

6 hours ago, Zola25 said:

It would have been nice to see the clear parts reviewed in Andy´s HHQ video as the ones in the MBK video are badly damaged and scratched.. 

I'm sure it is a final test shot. So, it has no actual handling or final packaging quality control at that step. I'm confident the production ones will be OK.

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

I'm sure it is a final test shot. So, it has no actual handling or final packaging quality control at that step. I'm confident the production ones will be OK.

I think so too but on the other hand, both "reviews" comment on the box being completely packed to the rim with sprues - But it does look amazing and I cannot wait to get mine and start building it ;) 

At one point last week, I was almost on the verge of pulling the trigger on this kit..and then reason kicked back in and I emptied my shopping cart and closed the browser.  Now if the dambuster gets released then all bets are off!  If at some point, they tool and release a Grand Slam version, I'll fly to China and hand them whatever currency they want!

1 hour ago, Juggernut said:

At one point last week, I was almost on the verge of pulling the trigger on this kit..and then reason kicked back in and I emptied my shopping cart and closed the browser.  Now if the dambuster gets released then all bets are off!  If at some point, they tool and release a Grand Slam version, I'll fly to China and hand them whatever currency they want!

If the limited release of 1500 kits sells well, I would bet those versions will be released as well including perhaps a cockpit version. I ditched my plans for a HKM B17 and ordered the Border Lancaster kit. This is after I ordered, cancelled and reordered again after much deliberation. This kit was a tough decision. It’s like buying an expensive wildly impractical supercar.

Edited by frothingillbellows

With the level of technology we have available to us in our world today, it'd be nice to think that all the precision that's been brought to bear on rendering this Lancaster, inside and out, could be a baseline for all models going forward.

Of course it probably won't be. Not for another 15 or 20 years, anyway.

12 hours ago, frothingillbellows said:

If the limited release of 1500 kits sells well,

1500 kits X $600 = $900,000 - Although only maybe $500,000 to $550,000 will actually go to Border. Hopefully, for Border, that exceeds the cost of mould acquisition and kit production. 

Now, who has the HP O/100 moulds?

22 hours ago, frothingillbellows said:

.This is after I ordered, cancelled and reordered again after much deliberation. This kit was a tough decision. It’s like buying an expensive wildly impractical supercar.

Yes, no, yes, no, yes?

YES! :frantic:

Edited by CharmyDown
Indecision!

14 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

1500 kits X $600 = $900,000 - Although only maybe $500,000 to $550,000 will actually go to Border. Hopefully, for Border, that exceeds the cost of mould acquisition and kit production. 

Now, who has the HP O/100 moulds?

If they manage just to break even or lose a little, I imagine the publicity generated in the model world for their brand is more than adequate compensation. Very few had ever heard of them a year ago and now the Lancaster and their other kits are widely discussed. I have even seen one of their armour kits featured on Reddit and Twitter in a political topic which has nothing to do with modelling. 

Edited by frothingillbellows