Lightning sucks...or why I won't be around much for a while.....

BradG

Damn Brad, I just saw this, hopefully everything is getting back to normal. Close call for sure. Wish you a quick recovery my friend.

Cheers

Martin

... now, you just need to figure out how to activate your superpowers. :)

Thanks guys. It's a pretty FUBAR situation, I mean who gets hit by lightning, it wasn't even raining and it missed a 50ft palm tree 30 meters away!

Have organised a rental now, looking to downsize though and mum said she doesn't want to rent for more than 12 months so hopefully things will get back to normal in a new place before christmas, but it seems such a long way off at the moment.

You have to get a lightning strike tattoo on your shoulder now.;). It'd be pretty gangster.

I've worked with a nurse that was hit by it. Swimming at the time and it launched her out of the water. I had a near miss once...wow. Not a nice experience.

Matty

3 minutes ago, LSP_Matt said:

You have to get a lightning strike tattoo on your shoulder now.;). It'd be pretty gangster.

I've worked with a nurse that was hit by it. Swimming at the time and it launched her out of the water. I had a near miss once...wow. Not a nice experience.

Matty

Well the guys at cricket have started calling me "Thor".....gotta love cricketers!

Friend of mine "almost" got hit 30+ years ago.  He was walking into work out in the parking lot and lightning struck a light pole about 100 feet away from him.  It blew off his big toenail on one foot.

To this day he loses his mind if he's outside and a storm blows up.  Inside, he will go to the center of the house and take cover if it's really bad.

Old boss was telling me when he worked in the TV repair business they had a client who's TV's kept getting struck by lightning.  First two were by a window.  Came through the window and hit the TV directly.  Third one he moved it across the room.  Still came through the window and hit it.  I think he needed to change what he was watching.

8 hours ago, BradG said:

Well the guys at cricket have started calling me "Thor".....gotta love cricketers!

Oh well, that explains it. English cricketers are famous for their rain dances

Richard

On 2/4/2022 at 10:37 AM, Pete Fleischmann said:

oh- and if you ever get a grapefruit sized ball of St. Elmo’s fire on the inside of your F-16 canopy..don’t touch it.

ask me how I know-

If it's any consolation, I would have touched it too.

In fact, even though you just told me not to, I would probably still touch it. :D

2 hours ago, BiggTim said:

If it's any consolation, I would have touched it too.

In fact, even though you just told me not to, I would probably still touch it. :D

100% me too.

11 hours ago, GreyGhost said:

I've heard of people getting struck well before the storm reaches the area ... 

-Gregg

We had a really bad storm here in Melbourne one year. A well known station was inundated with people having a massive sook and a whinge about the lazy unionised aircraft handlers who left them stuck in a plane on the tarmac for over an hour.

They were all giving the staff handling aircraft a massive towel up until one person rang in and questioned whether all the whingers realised they'd given no consideration whatsoever to the health and safety risks of moving about a large metal tube in open areas with recorded lightning strikes.

The sound of crickets was very satisfying.

Matty

Thunderstorms are something to take seriously, I grew up in So.California where we'd get maybe one good storm a year then moved to the Midwest in 1990 where we even have "Thundersnow" storms, I didn't even know that was a thing beforehand ... :huh:

-Gregg

2 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

:rofl:   :rofl::rofl:

Thats how they play GOOD cricket right ?!!

It's a Sunday afternoon tradition in the UK.

It isn't clear scientifically why donning whites and standing around in ritual patterns with bits of willow in a close mown field makes it rain, it does make the place lovely and green though

How are you doing Brad? @BradG

Richard

Doing ok @RLWP. Things have settled down a little in the rental we got, still have stuff to clean out of the house, but I'm honestly exhausted after two weeks now of being on the go non stop. I did lose my bed which sucks, it got water logged and just stank so it couldn't be salvaged, mum was going to go buy me something but sleeping on the floor has actually improved my back...aside from the odd times the cat decides to use me as a trampoline. 

We'll get there somehow, still don't want to be in the rental anymore than 12 months, mum already looking for a house and we had already talked about downsizing as for a family of 3 our house that was nearly 30 squares on a 1/4 acre block was just getting too much to keep up. Hopefully find something a little smaller with no backyard and minimal grass and garden out front to take care of.