WNW Pfalz D XII

Greif8

Following is the first build of the year for me, though I started it in mid-December.  The Pfalz D XII seems to be a fairly uncommon build, so I thought it would be something a bit different.  The scene is supposed to represent an aircraft that has suffered engine failure and force landed in a meadow away from its home airfield.  I used some different types and lengths of grass and forest scatter to (hopefully) reinforce the fact that the DXII had landed near a woodline or marshy area.  I liked the pose of the mechanic figure as he seems to be thinking "What a mess!" or perhaps something a bit more forceful!   :whistle: 

I used a few A/M things on this build; an HGW seatbelt, LF Models Wooden Prop, some ANYZ spark plugs, and a REXX exhaust.  The rigging is all Uschi line, and the eyebolts are Gaspatch. I also did a bit of scratchbuilding making the crate and small footstep out of balsa wood.  I did not heavily weather the aircraft except in the engine compartment where I did put down a lot of oil staining - again to suggest an engine failure; unfortunately, due to where I positioned the figure, it makes getting a good macro shot of the engine comparment nearly impossible with my photo setup. 

So on the photos, first up some overall shots.

IMG_4052

IMG_4051

IMG_4050

IMG_4034

IMG_4033

IMG_4032

IMG_4030

6 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Beautiful work and presentation Ernest! You did the kit justice, and the vignettes with your figures really sets your builds apart.  Well done!

Cheers,  Tom

Thank you Tom!  I originally considered having the aircraft sans landing gear as if it had shorn them off in a forced landing.  After looking at a lot of photos of crashed WWI aircraft I came to the conclusion that very few - if any - WWI planes skidded for any distance after the landing gear was raked off.  Most of the photos I looked at showed the aircraft somewhat upended and/or having suffered damage to the lower wings/fuselage.  Given the fragile nature of those crates that is not surprising.  Replicating damaged fabric and spares would have been a pretty major scratch building effort.  In the end, I chose to go the easier route and show the aircraft having successfully glided to a landing.

Ernest   

5 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Great build and very well presented too.  Your rigging skills impress too.

:goodjob:

Cheers,

Michael

Thank you Michael!  I tried out the Gaspatch resin turnbuckles during the build, but found them to be a bit too fragile for my ham fists.  I have some of the metal ones coming and plan to use them on the next build - or I might stop being lazy and cut some brass tube and use the technique that really good modellers like Dr. Dave use for rigging WWI.

Thank you again!

Ernest

4 hours ago, Rob Owens said:

Du, Prachtkerl! Wunderschoen!!

Vielen Dank Rob!  I showed your comment to my German wife pointing out that others can see that I am a "Prachtkerl" so why can't she!?  She just rolled her eyes as she normally does at such things!  :lol:

Ernest