1/72 DHC Dash 8-300

chrish

I tore into this, well I tore the wrapper off, last night and began my way down the rabbit hole of converting it from a 100 to a 300, I was going to try for a 400 but way too much changes there.

This is an old Hobycraft Canada kit, I'm aware of (hopefully all of them) the kits shortcomings and will try to address as many as I can...we'll see how that goes.

Here's the fuselage out of the box above the planned cuts "blueprint";

VHtWwkY.jpg

first cut and laid out where I need to add plugs;

qgIlLLS.jpg?1

both cuts and test fit together to make sure I'm not out a lot;

TEPFAwe.jpg

Currently working on adding longer span to the wings...

Thanks for looking

Edited by chrish
typo

Thanks folks! don't go patting me on the back just yet, a pat on the back is only 18 inches from a kick in the butt!

I've gone ahead and added (going by my math) the needed span for a 300, to one wing (still in progress but encouraging)

euFYAZM.jpg?1

The wings are lined up on the 37th parallel vertical line

fXDOnT5.jpg?1

The windshields are shaped... strangely, I'm trying to get a little closet to prototypical with the openings, the right side, untouched;

SutfyAj.jpg

The left side, in progress;

bXvG87U.jpg

and a comparison of the two sides:

dI07wC6.jpg

Thanks for looking

Watching this closely and with interest as I am a retired Dash 8 training captain. Not sure which aircraft from the Jazz fleet you are representing, but be aware the later 300's (311) had different landing gear struts. Those struts allowed the main wheels to sit further back eliminating loading issues on the ground.

Mark Proulx

7 minutes ago, Mark P said:

Watching this closely and with interest as I am a retired Dash 8 training captain. Not sure which aircraft from the Jazz fleet you are representing, but be aware the later 300's (311) had different landing gear struts. Those struts allowed the main wheels to sit further back eliminating loading issues on the ground.

Mark Proulx

I wasn’t aware of that change, thanks!

I imagine there’s a lot of things I’m unaware of…

57 minutes ago, Mark P said:

If you have questions I can try and help. Just ask.. 

Mark Proulx

Thanks!

if you can give an approximation in the gear's rear-word relocation.....say from the front of the nacelle to the strut, any pics of what may be up inside the gear bay? There are images on the internet but gotta hunt for them (and then find out it's the gear bay of something else) I have a lot of pics I took while flying in them but never took pictures of some items..that nobody else took pics of either.  

TBW, if you can tell me which FIN you are building I can tell you if the gear is updated on it or not...

On the early Dash 8 301, the landing gear remained the same as the earlier 100 series. However, it was noticed that while boarding the a/c took a tail low stance as the CofG moved aft. This required that a "pogo stick" be fitted fitted to the rear fuselage to prevent the aircraft sitting on its tail. With this in mind, the Dash 8 311 was produced. While it had the same attachment point in the nacelle for the l/g, there was a slight bend aft below that point putting the main wheels further aft. Consequently, no chance of a tail stand and the "pogo stick" and its attachment point was not required.

Now, as to you wheel well questions. I have asked to have some provided to me. Stand by on that...I have asked for some help on this and it could take a few days.

However, remember that the wheel wells are mostly sealed during normal operations. The only time the wheel well interior would be visible above the clamshell doors:

1) During normal gear retraction/extension sequence

2) Remaining open after an alternate gear extension

3) Manually opened on the ground from the flight deck allowing for a visual inspection or maintenance functions. 

I hope this helps a bit...

Mark Proulx

Hmmmm I may be in over my head then. 

Well, in any case I'm still kind of chugging along.

I added stringers to the correct length and made some resin plugs that I've begun trying to fit, I never considered window spacing when making the plugs and now I'm thinking I may have to make new plugs from sheet plastic

BHl1dLC.jpg?1

kvp4RhO.jpg?1

Thanks for looking