1/72 DHC Dash 8-300

chrish

5 hours ago, Mark P said:

FYI...

There are two different blades on the 100/300 series dash. The 300 series dash used two white markings at the tip. The 100 series used a single yellow tip.

Mark Proulx

Whoops, thanks! Some correcting to do then. 

40 minutes ago, Ben Brown said:

Looking great! I didn’t know the -300 had white prop tips instead of yellow.

Ben

Makes two of us.

I walk past ATR 42’s every day and they all have yellow tips so I went with that idea, nice to have input from folks who know better.

Thanks

Still kind of tinkering on the 8 I finally came up with (what I'm calling) a windshield, I've made it slightly oversize so I can add the bare metal trim later. This is just clear plastic from a blister pack cut and bent to shape, super glue (CA'd) in place and given a coat of future.

I'm now making side windows for the cabin from scotch tape.

TtzNiNL.jpg

Also visible are the panels on the nose for O2 and hydraulics access, (these are .005" sheet) I goofed and have them slightly too far aft.

Thanks for looking

If you care to duplicate them, dont forget two large panels are applied to the side of the fuselage abeam the props. These plates are struck by ice flying off the props when the deice function activated. They get replaced over time as the ice damaged them. The idea to damage these structures and not the metal fuselage.

In addition, there is an emergency exit on top of the fuselage aft of the windshield. The exit for flight crew. I cant tell from your photos if it is scribed in place or not.

Project looks great and I follow with great interest!

HTH

Mark Proulx

Edited by Mark P

1 hour ago, Mark P said:

If you care to duplicate them, dont forget two large panels are applied to the side of the fuselage abeam the props. These plates are struck by ice flying off the props when the deice function activated. They get replaced over time as the ice damaged them. The idea to damage these structures and not the metal fuselage.

In addition, there is an emergency exit on top of the fuselage aft of the windshield. The exit for flight crew. I cant tell from your photos if it is scribed in place or not.

Project looks great and I follow with great interest!

HTH

Mark Proulx

Thank you very much Mark

I will be attempting to reproduce the ice shields from .005" sheet, higher on the port side, lower on the stb?? to account (methinks) for prop rotation and local strike areas

Sounds correct...

BTW, just to correct your earlier post the lower access panels in the nose for access to O2 and stick pusher. The two upper access panels for various avionics/electrical components. No hydraulics up front. 

Wont create any change to your build but always nice to learn as you go I think!

Mark Proulx

One more quick note while working on the fuselage...

Just below the emergency exits on the rear fuselage apply some strip styrene horizontally to represent the ditching dams. On the 314 (yes, there is such a thing. We had 2), the dams are a larger fairing. The dams were placed below the exits.

Mark Proulx

Edited by Mark P

16 minutes ago, Mark P said:

One more quick note while working on the fuselage...

Just below the emergency exits on the rear fuselage apply some strip styrene horizontally to represent the ditching dams. On the 314 (yes, there is such a thing. We had 2), the dams are a larger fairing. The dams were placed below the exits.

Mark Proulx

I'm assuming (I know, never assume) you are referring to the "bumps" below the doors? seen (above) in my last pic on the stbd side rear, below the door? 

Still a lot to do here...