Oshkosh Airventure 21

By the time you read this, AirVenture may have been completely erased.  Massive violent line of storms headed straight for it as of 2305 Eastern USA time, Wednesday.  Huge hail and tornadoes predicted.  Many left throughout the day but almost all the show planes, venues, displays, etc. are still there and out in the open.  People are doing what they can to protect their airplanes, but this may end up being REALLY bad.

Holy cow, this isn't good, to say the least, hope everyone and everything can escape it in time.

I still have this T-shirt from years ago, saying I SURVIVED OSHKOSH, and next to it a "list" of weather related anomalies........but this is for real, take care everybody.......

19 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

By the time you read this, AirVenture may have been completely erased.  Massive violent line of storms headed straight for it as of 2305 Eastern USA time, Wednesday.  Huge hail and tornadoes predicted.  Many left throughout the day but almost all the show planes, venues, displays, etc. are still there and out in the open.  People are doing what they can to protect their airplanes, but this may end up being REALLY bad.

Almost 24 hours later and have yet to see any real updates on damage and such.  Apparently, the show somehow dodged the worst of it although the famous checkpoint of Ripon was hit by high winds or a tornado and took quite a bit of damage.  Videos of the airplanes returning today show some pretty soggy ground but everything seems to be moving okay - just a couple of planes stuck here and there.  Not sure when it was - might have been this morning - but a really nice yellow Stearman groundlooped on landing right in front of everybody.  Started going around and then snapped right up on its nose like somebody suddenly stomped on the brakes.  Otherwise, looks like everything is back to normal and will hopefully stay that way.

We flew in and back out yesterday, aside from things being a bit soggy all is well. I spoke with a few of the volunteers, they told me they had to cancel the Wednesday night airshow and reschedule it. They were herding as many people into the museum and a few other hard structures for shelter but everyone was okay. Not sure what time that Stearman went on it's nose, but as we were taxiing to our parking spot the emergency crews were heading to the runway - a little before 8am. We were one of the last aircraft in VFR before they stopped VFR arrivals for a while. They were able to open it back up a while later. This was my first time flying in (always drove up in past years) and was a bit nervous about it all, especially "landing on the dot". But, it went very well and I can't say enough good things about how well all of the folks working there do the impossible. What an exciting day!

As of Thursday night there were three incidents, I think:  the Stearman, somebody gear-upped an Arrow and something else.  Lots of close calls and bounced landings.  I flew in solo in 1998.  It was actually pretty easy if you flew the NOTAM procedures and did what ATC told you to do.  It was the people who didn’t that really made things interesting.  My biggest takeaway?  Not the dot; that was easy.  It was looking down and seeing 10,000 airplanes already on the field.  The mind boggles and won’t process what you’re seeing.

"CALL THE GRAVEL PIT FOR SEQUENCING" and "WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T TURN BACK ONTO THE RUNWAY" and "THERE IS NO WAY I'M GIVING WEATHER ON THIS FREQUENCY" are some ATC calls i can remember from a recording taken some time in the zeventies..........

1 hour ago, Jack said:

"CALL THE GRAVEL PIT FOR SEQUENCING" and "WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T TURN BACK ONTO THE RUNWAY" and "THERE IS NO WAY I'M GIVING WEATHER ON THIS FREQUENCY" are some ATC calls i can remember from a recording taken some time in the zeventies..........

And in my case:  “White Cessna gimme the green dot but you gotta pick it up!  No kidding, that biplane is flying right up your ass!”  True story.  The morning I left for home, there were no comms to speak of.  Everything was controlled at the hammerhead by a guy with a flag.  Did a section takeoff with a family in a Bonanza I’d never seen before that moment.   Crazy, but that Oshkosh back in the day.

On 7/30/2021 at 6:28 AM, Daywalker said:

We flew in and back out yesterday, aside from things being a bit soggy all is well..... But, it went very well and I can't say enough good things about how well all of the folks working there do the impossible. What an exciting day!

What did you end up flying in? Glad you had a great time!

We had some success with our Travel Air 6000, Vintage Grand Champion for '21!

FB_IMG_1627830547529

FB_IMG_1627834669477

As always, it was an incredible week, full of memories and fun. Ill put some pictures up later, once I get unpacked!

Denzil

20 hours ago, RadBaron said:

What did you end up flying in? Glad you had a great time!

We had some success with our Travel Air 6000, Vintage Grand Champion for '21!

WOW, CONGRATULATIONS!!!  To be honored like must be an incredible feeling, they sure don't hand those out to just anything.  I saw MANY gorgeous aircraft up there, and to win an award you must have an absolutely pristine aircraft.  Well done! :clap2::yahoo::beer4:

I never got up close to your Travel Air, but saw it in the distance and was just about ready to head that direction when those F-15's and F/A-18's "arrived" Thursday.  Sorry I never got over there to take a look!

We ended up bringing one of our 172's, nothing NEARLY as nice as what you brought!