S-3B Viking last flight

Today Nasa is retiring the last flying S-3. It was flown to Gillespie Field about 4 miles from my house. I drove out see it land. Pretty cool.   I wanted to get a video of it landing but screwed up big time. I was parked on the east side of the runway where I know most flights come in from. I was tracking the flight on a flight tracking website but didn't  know that there was a 5 minute lag between what the website said and where the plane actually was. Long story short I was looking to the east and it did a flyover from the west. Didn't actually see it until it flew over my car. Needless to say I didn't get a video. Crap. Anyway got to see it land and taxi to the San Diego Air and Space facility. The local IPMS chapter has its monthly  meeting there so I should be able to get some photos then.

As Maxwell Smart used to say, " Missed it by that much".

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

• LSP_K2 changed the title to S-3B Viking last flight

My best friend flew her to SD. Very fitting to have him take the final flight. JD & flew in the fleet and in the test squadron together. He texted me just before the final leg…she was flying like a champ until the end. 

1/32…that would be a big model. 

Cheers

Collin

28 minutes ago, Timmy! said:

Aww poo I wish I knew about that I woulda drove out to see it.  Love that “Hoover” sound on approach!

Poo for me too. Parked across the freeway to get a good view and almost missed it. If I had known that I could have gone to the museum site I would have seen the whole thing.

Didn't realize that you lived in the area.

Dan

14 hours ago, Dandiego said:

Poo for me too. Parked across the freeway to get a good view and almost missed it. If I had known that I could have gone to the museum site I would have seen the whole thing.

Didn't realize that you lived in the area.

Dan

The Air and Space Annex is a great place to visit too.  Just a polite ask and you may get full access to all the goodies in the hangers too.   I used to leave just a mile or two away in La Mesa. 

I'm feeling old , I remember reading about them shortly after entering service ....and the 1/72 Airfix kit that came out thereafter . The extending MAD boom seem very exotic in 1975/6 , whilst in the UK the FAA Seakings were dunking sonar buoys .