Special Hobby F-80C

Ayovan

Got a chance to start my second attempt at applying gloss black. First attempt she went down in flames, which resulted in a trip to the SOD. This time around it's coming out...not bad. I'm masking and painting sections with MRP super gloss black, and then spraying a full coat of Mr. leveling thinner instead of trying to paint the entire bird all at once. I still got some dust particles in it, but I think a quick wipe down with micro mesh after it's all done will hopefully take care of that.

3l833e.jpg

UmPRlf.jpg

cd1XvD.jpg

Edited by Ayovan

On 1/22/2023 at 9:06 PM, LSP_K2 said:

Nice! I have the Hobby Boss kit in the stash (love the airplane), so will be watching.

It's a nice kit Kevin. The intakes are a little fussy, but with a little patience and a bunch of clamps they came out good. I was rolling with a good head of steam on this one when I started it, that is until I screwed up the black base coat. I set it aside in my man cave and stared at it for over a year. I wanted to start a new build, but with 3 airplanes on the SOD, I figured I should finish at least one of them.

Andy

1 hour ago, Ayovan said:

It's a nice kit Kevin. The intakes are a little fussy, but with a little patience and a bunch of clamps they came out good. I was rolling with a good head of steam on this one when I started it, that is until I screwed up the black base coat. I set it aside in my man cave and stared at it for over a year. I wanted to start a new build, but with 3 airplanes on the SOD, I figured I should finish at least one of them.

Andy

I've got the Hobby Boss F-84E kit underway here, but nothing really cool to post yet.

14 minutes ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Hmmm.  Never once occurred to me to paint a big kit in masked off sections like you’ve done to get a better finish.  I always just blast away and hope for the best.  Really glad I stopped in - will give it a try.

I stole that from Alex. He did it on his A5M4 Claude a while back, which his NMF really turned out brilliantly.

Edited by Ayovan

Finished spraying the black tonight. I'll let it sit for a few days to cure, then I'll hit it with micro mesh 8000 and 12000 to knock off a few dust particles.

Edit: USPS just showed up with a package I have been waiting for. A Fisher F-9-F Panther (that I paid way too much for :mental:) This thing is bad ass though.

I can't wait to get into this one. :beer4:

e3edoO.jpg

Edited by Ayovan