1/48 Tamiya F-14A VF-84 Jolly Rogers

Thunnus

On 6/18/2021 at 11:23 AM, Jennings Heilig said:

Happy to print you a BuNo on the laser printer.

Very generous of you but I'm going to test a few options prior to resorting to the HAD BuNos.  First, I'll see if the Tamiya decals are usable and if not, take a stab at constructing the BuNos from the Furball individual numerals.

On 6/18/2021 at 12:26 PM, A-10LOADER said:

Any Tomcat post 1977 should have the tail stiffeners that run down by the rudder. The two, in the pic under the 00 should be there.

Steve

"TOMCATS FOREVER, BABY...!"

The two hex-shapes on the rudder beneath the 00 are on the kit so I'm assuming I'm good to go.

On 6/19/2021 at 5:45 AM, mustang1989 said:

Didn't realize this was you John. Will be watching this here as well. Almost done with the 262. 

Yup, it's me.  Thunnus here and JKim pretty much everywhere else.  Keeping an eye on your 262!

On 6/19/2021 at 6:55 PM, Kahunaminor said:

Yes he snuck in a 1/48 build but still brought all his skills!

Very nice John!

Regards,

Kent

Trying something new with this one.  From a size perspective, I think it exceeds most of my 1/32 scale subjects.

Fishing this Saturday was a lot of fun.  Tiring but fun.  The three of us managed to catch and release 139 largemouth bass, two bullheads and one bullfrog.  Quality was very good and I managed to catch five between 4-5 pounds.

Barrett-Bass-1-2.jpg

4 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

I'm always impressed with the fishing updates John.  Did any of the lures make final cut?  Which ones worked the best?  

How did you manage a bullfrog?  Too funny! :lol:

Thanks Troy!  The vast majority of the bass we catch are on soft plastic baits worked at or near the bottom.  That is the most consistent way to catch them.  Every once in a while, a window of opportunity will open to catch fish on the hard baits and that's where the painted lures come into play.  For example, at grey light, we always try for a topwater bite because it is so fun to see the fish explode on the lure.  When the bass start actively feeding on the large schools of threadfin shad, another opportunity to throw a custom-painted lure arises.  Hard painted lures = reaction bite and many times we just don't run into that type of bite.  I ran through most of my personal painted lures just to make sure they run straight and true.  I also delivered some painted lures to friends on the lake, including the P-40.  I managed to get a bass on one of the new painted lures but I'm waiting for those opportunities to catch more on them.

The bullfrogs can be very aggressive especially lures that flop around on the surface.  It is either a predatory or territorial thing and my friend accidentally hooked on after it attacked his lure.

Back to the Tomcat build...

The nose landing gear has been painted and weathered.
IMG-2403.jpg

IMG-2404.jpg

The nose gear doors have been painted but not finished with weathering yet.  I wanted to figure out how I was going to paint the red edges.  I ended up doing one side at a time and working my way around each door.  Sounds like a lot of work but doing one side at a time reduces the need to mask the corners, which in turn, helps to save some time.
IMG-2405.jpg

There are some lower fuselage alterations called out in the instructions that I have attended to.  Two small ports and a riveted access panel were filled in with black CA glue.
IMG-2409.jpg

IMG-2410.jpg

IMG-2406.jpg

IMG-2411.jpg

The lower fuselage also has some subtle but noticeable molding marks running along its length that needs to be removed.  I used a round edged knife to lightly scrape it off and varying grades of sandpaper to finish it off.
IMG-2407.jpg

IMG-2408.jpg

1 hour ago, Uncarina said:

Very crisp and clean work! I especially love that nose gear. What did you use for the chrome? It looks really good.

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks Tom!  My normal paint for the shiny oleos is Alclad Chrome over a glossy Tamiya Black.  If you let it dry thoroughly (I like waiting 4-6 hours), it holds up to masking very well.