Minibase SU-33 Madness

Uncarina

3 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Wow, this Minibase kit looks utterly spectacular.  Especially for a first effort.  Not sure I've quite seen a company burst onto the scene with that sort of detail and fit since Wingnuts.

Matt 

Matt, I do agree. It’s broadly comparable to today’s GWH in terms of detail, but goes just a bit further with all of those extra parts. And yes, all in a first release. It would be great to see an SU-34 Hellduck from them.

3 hours ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

As previous posters have said, this kit has many more parts than you find in most 1/32nd scale models. Is this a taste of the future?

Chris. 

As my Dad used to say, time will tell. I do think of it as a ship model in aircraft clothing!

Cheers,  Tom

I'm slowly making some progress. I've added the wiring to the nose landing gear using lead wire, then primed it with Tamiya surface primer for metal and plastic. I'll be painting next then will assemble, paint, and add the wheels. Interestingly, Minibase gives you the choice of round or flattened main wheels but you only get round for the front wheels. They would be kept at high pressure but even so there should be a slight flattening, which I will have to add. Until next time!

e5RYpu4.jpg

cxPsZCS.jpg

9BlGgRX.jpg

Cheers,  Tom

After priming with Tamiya Surface Primer, I combined Tamiya XF-53 Neutral Grey with XF-12 JN Grey in a 3:1 ratio for the main color. After this I detail painted with Vallejo and Liquid Chrome. I topped the main lights with Modge Podge Super Gloss Brilliant clear to simulate the glass. After correcting some painting errors I see from the photos I'll be glad to have this mini-build completed!

rpirOVp.jpg

bVfyHrt.jpg

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

That nose gear is intense, Tom!  The braided line (brake?) is interesting.  For clear light bezels, have you tried UV epoxy?  I like it because it dries crystal clear and instantly within a few seconds of UV light application. 

Thanks John! I don’t have many reference pics of the nose gear, but they show the tan braided lines, though I’m not sure what they’re for. I have seen the UV clear used before, and in fact one of the reference builds I’m following for this kit used them. The only thing that kept me from pursuing this is that they appear bulged when the reference photos show the lenses to be flat. They do look good though. Next I’ll be adding the wheels and decals, then on to the intakes.

Cheers,  Tom

I finally believe I can now put the nose gear aside. Getting the wheels attached was a challenge. After sanding a flat spot under each I noticed that the mounting peg was too long, and when I attempted to attach the wheels they wouldn't clear the debris guard. Cutting the pegs back by 2/3 did the trick. I just have them dry-mounted until I have the airframe resting on the landing gear, just to make sure that the flat spots align. Now, on to the intakes!

QJPlOF9.jpg

1wIVBFm.jpg

Cheers,  Tom