RYAN STA 1/18

Ironwing

I love this stuff Geoff - keep it going!

Hopefully, the carbon fibre rods will offer the stiffness you require for your wings, but if all else fails, 'I' section spars and box sections always offer the lightest and strongest solutions (which is chiefly why they have been used in wing design on the full size aircraft for such a long time). looks like you are defeating the cowl issues, well done.

Good luck

Derek

On 7/13/2021 at 5:13 AM, Derek B said:

I love this stuff Geoff - keep it going!

Hopefully, the carbon fibre rods will offer the stiffness you require for your wings, but if all else fails, 'I' section spars and box sections always offer the lightest and strongest solutions (which is chiefly why they have been used in wing design on the full size aircraft for such a long time). looks like you are defeating the cowl issues, well done.

Good luck

Derek

Derek

Thanks much Bud. Im enjoying too! Stay tuned...

Geoff

On 7/12/2021 at 5:20 PM, brahman104 said:

Looking good Geoff! I'm interested to see how you'll tackle the prop :)

Craig

Craig..Im glad you like. This build is undoubtedly the most fun of any. Scratch building, despite its difficulties, is just a hoot. In response to your statement about the prop...I spent a day some time back playing around with it. It was more an experiment than anything else having never done a prop before. I think it can be better

The result...

FwYu4V.jpg

Greets All

So, the carbon fiber rods arrived. They are just what the doctor ordered. Theyre stiff, very stiff, and very light, especially after theyre build into the structure they support. I couldnt find tubes in the diamter I wanted so I opted for solid rods. So do I try to drill out the existing ribs or make new ribs? :) If you look back in the fuselage post, youll see the new ribs hiding in the background.

So....

73sDle.jpg

The brass dihedral brace will have to stay

JEzG84.jpg

aVJowz.jpg

Preparation for the gear has started. A mounting plate, set to sixteen degrees forward rake has been installed between ribs three and four. All made from .030" stock.

h78Ryb.jpg

I should clarify..The gear nount plate is in the front, The heavy cross member at the back of the rib bay will act as a receiver for the segment of the gear structure. I left it floating since Im not yet sure where the rear gear post will end up. The inboard most rib has also been left floating so it can adjust to the sides of the fuselage.

t2tTRa.jpg

Tires are in process..

mTxehf.jpg

Maybe more about the gear and control surfaces next time. I hope everyone is well...be safe

Best

Geoff

1 hour ago, Ironwing said:

Craig..Im glad you like. This build is undoubtedly the most fun of any. Scratch building, despite its difficulties, is just a hoot.

Oi! Don't let on or they'll all be at it!

Richard

On 7/15/2021 at 7:34 PM, brahman104 said:

Thanks Geoff! I see you're already well versed on the dark art of prop carving! ;) How are you gluing the carbon rod to the ribs, just epoxy/jbweld etc? 

Looks great!

Craig

Hi Craig

I havent yet glued the rods in. They fit pretty tight as they are and tend not to move. I was thinking a drop of CA at each interface. Any thoughts on it?

Geoff

Hi Everyone,

It is just hotter than the gates of hell here...just withering heat and humidity. I did manage to accomplish a bit by installing the rear spar. It took a long time to accomplish considering that they(two parts to them) are just two straight runs. They lined up well on the trailing edge of the ribs. Matching the curve of the ribs took some time. There is also a second spar laminated to the the main spar which is common to both the aileron and flap noses respectively. However, the aileron sits deeper in the wing and accomodation had to be made to allow for a bit of the wing skin to overhang the TE to create the transition from wing skin to control surface and has to be bullet straight.

If you look at the line between the flap and aileron, you can see the step in the spar

a82Qz5.jpg

Its about as straight as I could get it...

7FHaPN.jpg

I just couldnt resist the urge to do this pic...I just had to see how much it looked like an ST-A

bPBlZ9.jpg

Still much to do in the wing to get it ready for skinning. Hope everyone is well..be safe.

Best

Geoff

5 hours ago, Ironwing said:

Hi Craig

I havent yet glued the rods in. They fit pretty tight as they are and tend not to move. I was thinking a drop of CA at each interface. Any thoughts on it?

Geoff

Your guess is as good as mine Geoff, but CA might be the better option due to capillary action as you're suggesting..... it's be hard to get the epoxy evenly around each intersection.

Craig