"Your Spitfire I believe Sir?"

mozart

14 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Looking great Max!

Personally, Im nearly 99.9 % of the time in the "get  ALL of the airframe completed before primer and paint, of you are going to destroy it if you wait until after paint" crew  myself. 

I guess I've just had way too many experiences where I tried assembly after paint and invariably messed something up on the paint during assembly. Really the only time I almost always assemble after paint is w/WWI stuff, where rigging and a second wing makes it a necessity. 

You may have better luck than I however! 

Thanks for your thoughts Brian, it makes sense! I’m going to finalise the engine today and have a trial fit along with the panels to see how it all goes together then come to a decision, though my original thoughts still seem the best at the mo. 

10 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Looks great, Max! You're really racing through this one.

Kev

Cheers Kev, it’s a very difficult kit not to like, and I say this despite my disillusionment with it 5 years ago, but perhaps it’s just the type of model I need right now! It’s certainly helped to restore the mojo, along with Maureen of course! Spent a happy hour yesterday doing the masks for it so I’m ready to go! 

9 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Paint as is Max, it worked well for me on my Spit but mine was in PR Blue which made things easy, the fit is excellent so you should have no worries doing it either way.

Regards. Andy 

Yep, I don’t think painting the panels separately will pose too many problems nor installing them once painted Andy. I’m not planning to have any as removable items so once fixed, that’s it! 

3 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

I'm liking this build a lot.  The engine and cockpit are very well done.  Looking forward to more progress on this.  :popcorn:

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks Michael, you shouldn’t have too long to wait though once applied the primer stage will be like watching paint dry! :P

Main marking paint masks are ready:

uOZWke.png

and I decided to make my own camouflage masks.  The wings are easy.  I scanned and scaled up the lovely sheet supplied with the kit:

2fn0rx.jpg

and imported the image into the Silhouette software.  To get the right size I measured the wing chord on the model along the walkway stripe (80mm) then sized the image to the right size:

easHp4.jpg

uDZNCN.jpg

then it was simply a matter of tracing the lines:

pkeSIt.png

The fuselage ones are going to be trickier and will involve a bit more trial and error with paper to get the right dimensions then transferring that onto a flat surface, good fun though.  I've given the Spit a coat of primer, very few areas need any filler at all but I'll leave it all to dry thoroughly.

5 minutes ago, dennismcc said:

Now that is truly impressive, I used to spend hours making up paper masks.

Cheers

Dennis

There you go Dennis, almost literally 15 minutes work! By the way, my PCM Tempest arrived this morning, looks good. :)

Edited by mozart

2 minutes ago, mozart said:

There you go Dennis, almost literally 15 minutes work! By the way, my PCM Tempest arrived this morning, looks good. :)

Hi Max glad that you like the look of it, from my own build and others the two main problem areas are fitting the cockpit "tub" into the fuselage and thinning down the resin wheel wells enough to fit the wings to the fuselage, it takes a bit of patience and lots of test fitting.

Cheers

Dennis

The Spitfire's had the Ocean Grey top coat and Medium Sea Grey undersides applied, but not worth a picture.  I've painted Maureen's trousers with an acrylic layer so tomorrow I'll be adding low lights and high lights with thin oil washes.  Her face has had more work, shadows and high lights but the hair needs more attention....doesn't it ever!? 

uvEGp8.jpg