JU87B-2 Colours for North Africa

Sir Spendalot

First post in a long time - and a cry for help! I've been working on the Airfix 1:24 JU87B-2 and planned to do it in the North Africa colours, albeit the Montex masks option. I was doing ok up to the RLM 65, 70 and 71 bit, then came RLM 79!!! I've been using AK's Real Colors and found them to be really good to use and, as far as I can tell, accurate. However, the RLM 79 (1941 version) seems very light and very yellow. Below are a couple of photos - any comments (preferably to say it's ok) gratefully received. Dreading the idea of remasking.Stuka_RLM_79_01.jpgStuka_RLM_79_02.jpg

28 minutes ago, MARU5137 said:

Looks almost same as this color.

Asisbiz Junkers Ju 87BTrop Stuka 1.StG3 (S7+KH) North Africa 1940-42-0A

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Ju-87/StG3-NA/pages/Junkers-Ju-87BTrop-Stuka-1.StG3-(S7+KH)-North-Africa-1940-42-0A.html

Thanks for this - gives me hope that it's not too far off. Hopefully it I can knock it back a bit with some weathering

The initial 1941 shade of "79" was very light and yellow, especially with 109E's. The later versions of "79" were more in line with what we tend to see on models today.

There is a swatch of this yellow hue in Merricks last volumes of Luftwaffe Camouflage and Markings. 

Also, keep in mind how the underlying paintwork would influence the new topcoat, especially that of a lighter shade.

HTH,

Damian

I've studied quite a few photos of aircraft from that theatre and some paint jobs look relatively pristine and some look quite 'shop worn' at times.

I think you have to make a judgement call on the level of operational wear on the airframe when you do a model like this.

Obvious things like sand/weather erosion, fuel and hydraulic oil stains and some elements of sun bleaching over time can have quite a visual effect. 

It's quite a conundrum but does give the artistic element a chance to shine on battle weary machines.

I normally go with a picture of the subject if I can get one to give me some idea.

Anyway, your model looks great, enjoy it and go with what you like!    :thumbsup: