Minicraft 1/144 Iron Maiden 757

LSP_Kevin

I'm pleased to report that I can finally declare this one finished!

kAwYEB.jpg

wbprmA.jpg

The livery decals are from V1 Decals, and the cockpit windows and wing root landing lights are from Authentic Airliners Decals. The two VHF antenna blades are from CRM, while I scratch-built the red anti-collision light.

Zkk55C.jpg

H01GZW.jpg

VvIi3s.jpg

eqMcBH.jpg

cSVgxc.jpg

TvPcgf.jpg

I must say, it's quite difficult to photograph a mostly white object against a white background! But my coloured backgrounds aren't big enough to accommodate the low-down shots, unfortunately.

The model has a lot of flaws, but I'm still really happy with the way it turned out. Now to finish its Welsh Models stable mate!

Kev

That looks fantastic Kev - I like it very much! (Well done!). 

:goodjob:

I there a consensus as to a bullet proof gloss varnish which will handle all chemicals and solvents when cured for use on airliners and all 1/32 kits?

Derek

22 minutes ago, Derek B said:

That looks fantastic Kev - I like it very much! (Well done!). 

:goodjob:

I there a consensus as to a bullet proof gloss varnish which will handle all chemicals and solvents when cured for use on airliners and all 1/32 kits?

Derek

My go-to has always been Tamiya X-22 thinned with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner. But I've had some issues recently where this combination has been a bit aggressive over fragile decals - especially the laser (or worse: inkjet!) printed decals common in the airliner modelling genre. It's also not necessarily a great option over natural metal finishes, either - especially lacquer-based ones. So in those situations, I've switched to using Alclad's Aqua Gloss, which as the name suggests, is water-based, and relatively inert. It doesn't need thinning, so no need to introduce additional chemical elements to it. This means it's perfect over both fragile decals, and natural metal finishes. I still prefer the finish that X-22 gives me, so I'll usually go over the Aqua Gloss with a coat or two of that to really seal the deal, with the Aqua Gloss acting as a barrier between the fragile finish and the more aggressive X-22 mix. I just don't think Aqua Gloss is as nice, or as bullet-proof, on its own.

HTH!

Kev

2 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

My go-to has always been Tamiya X-22 thinned with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner. But I've had some issues recently where this combination has been a bit aggressive over fragile decals - especially the laser (or worse: inkjet!) printed decals common in the airliner modelling genre. It's also not necessarily a great option over natural metal finishes, either - especially lacquer-based ones. So in those situations, I've switched to using Alclad's Aqua Gloss, which as the name suggests, is water-based, and relatively inert. It doesn't need thinning, so no need to introduce additional chemical elements to it. This means it's perfect over both fragile decals, and natural metal finishes. I still prefer the finish that X-22 gives me, so I'll usually go over the Aqua Gloss with a coat or two of that to really seal the deal, with the Aqua Gloss acting as a barrier between the fragile finish and the more aggressive X-22 mix. I just don't think Aqua Gloss is as nice, or as bullet-proof, on its own.

HTH!

Kev

Thanks Kev, this is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. I have used Tamiya X-22 (thinned with MLT) on my Lightning, which has been sprayed with both lacquer paint (silver undersides) and Humbrol enamels (top camouflage colours). I find that it is not durable when cleaned with white spirit, which softens/removes it, hence my question.

Derek

6 hours ago, Derek B said:

I find that it is not durable when cleaned with white spirit, which softens/removes it, hence my question.

That's interesting, as it should be 100% resistant against white spirit. But I guess a solvent is a solvent. I'd just use warm soapy water for any cleaning at that stage anyway!

Kev