Airfix 1:24 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1a

Riddo

Good morning all.

I have just joined the Forum and I guess at the age of 52 I am what you would call a newbie - however having spent many days as a child building model aircraft and scratch building a lot of upgrades (not always accurate but rather more how I envisaged things should be as a kid) I have finally, after a year of pondering if I should revisit my childhood hobby, I've bit the bullet and started to build an Airfix 1:24 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1a.  It has for many years been on my mind to build this vintage model, and I'm well aware of the challenges it presents.

It is my intention to build it straight out the box, but develop my skills of scratch building, especially some improvements around the engine .  I have OCD, and even if something is hidden it has to be cleaned up, and correct so this build may take a while. I am very nervous about the painting, I know that this is were my OCD will kick in big time, I wont be airbrushing for this build but I do want to develop some weathering skills and I'm reading a lot on this technique.

its not my intention to build this is a week lol, this could take quiet a few months.

I hope you are all ok with myself posting the pics of the build on here, and will give me advice as I proceed and that brings me to the first bit of advice I would like - at the moment my photos are stored on Amazon pictures. in order to display in this forum, what is your advice on how to do this? 

Thankyou all.

Welcome aboard, Riddo!

:post1:

And welcome back to the hobby, too. I'm not familiar with Amazon pictures (wasn't aware there was such a thing, actually), so I can't give you any immediate advice about how to post images from there. But the main thing to concern yourself with is grabbing the direct link to the image itself; once you've got that, you simply paste it in here and your image will display.

Looking forward to seeing your build!

Kev

KE8QLqvvS4yI_JfCxYlLqA?viewBox=1608,903&

Hi Kev,

Thanks for the welcome.

Just tried to do a trial link and I'm not sure that its being accepted. I might have to store them on a different platform. do you have any advice?

Edited by Riddo

Ok, I must be doing something wrong here. I have tried to insert from my Amazon account and Google pics account but after I copy and paste the URL the insert box just sits there shaded red.

Can some one advice?

Thankyou.

Whatever link you are grabbing must be the actual pic address, so will end in .jog. I am not sure how google or amazon stores the pics or what options they give for selecting them for online posting, so not sure how to help you further. What options do they give you when you right click on the pics?

I think part of the issue is that the URLs you're copying don't appear to be the direct image links - look for something that ends with '.jpg', for example. Another potential issue is that the images themselves may not be public, and only you can see them while you're logged in to your account.

Kev

ok, so I am hoping this works. I Had to create a flickr account, but then copy to Pinterest, I'm sure there must be a more easy method!

So this is the start. Cleaning the engine block, a lot of flash as to be expected and sprue/tooling marks to remove and polish out. I'm only posting pics after I've carried out each task.

349bb359a10b8ca786bfc6a471ce0648.jpg

c0ddeec9068d12fb814e3bea420d5949.jpg

The first piece being glued. As soon as the Humbrol Liquid Poly pot was open I was transported back to sitting with my departed dad at about 13 years old and he was helping me (telling me in a very frustrated manor lol) to build a Airfix Lancastor. I think that one was 1:72

6e38a7b907df8efede18552c2f08c0d1.jpg

The parts aligned fairly well so far, a little clamping required but all good. the liquid poly filling any gaps so far.

6ca5e8500319a9a70c2b700f578e8fb5.jpg

f4d021bcc1b8d4f818e38497bf502cba.jpg

49ff7a59cb02385d45fcfb68cdf1b517.jpg

I am just doing a little research now on how to improve the basic look with Scratch building and painting.

A few more parts to fit and I will post a some more pics.

Any suggestions regarding the build or my photography work, please let me know.

Edited by Riddo

Hi Riddo, glad you got your photo hosting sorted. 

The pics look good so far. In fact, the way they are lit they resemble 3D renders. Nice one. 

I smiled reading your comment about the glue smell taking you back. I was lucky enough to get this kit as a Christmas present way back when so opening it recently has a similar time travel effect. 

Keep it up and enjoy. OCD can be a terrible cross to bare. Try to overcome your desire to correct every tiny issue and just have fun building the kit.

Cheers.

Continuing with the prep work on the engine block. 

The internal pin for the propeller had to be trimmed to be able to actually fit. You can clearly see here that its doubled up.

b25aa5c9b2329f892bd2737d6ddbfdc6.jpg

Once trimmed down it was able to fit snuggly, I also cleaned all propeller up.

6f5c2502ee1f8e6f344ebc513aec9e0e.jpg

Cleaned the remaining parts up.

cc56d149ab0f2bddb15851edf9080020.jpg

Spent a bit of time to clean all the flash out between the bolts on this part and do a little whittling so it fitted together. I am not too happy with how it still looks. As soon as some filler arrives next week I will sought out how the spigot looks.

fd2481d71b5e2bbb96d2466fb30256d3.jpg 

0395365ed44db1a70ff3ae873a10f766.jpg

So now that all the parts for the engine block are ready, I need to reflect a little upon the sequence of painting and assembly. I have a few ideas for additions to the engine to reflect photos of the real item. so a little planning required.

Edited by Riddo

Welcome Riddo!

Welcome back to the fray. An ambitious start with this old chestnut. I do like how clean your work is, so kudos on that.....when you get some filler, in addition to the Supercharger outlet (spigot), you might want to also fill those sink marks on the propeller blades, as they are deep enough to show up under paint. 

Keep the updates coming-and again, welcome to LSP!

THOR    :ph34r:

2 hours ago, bdthoresen said:

Welcome Riddo!

Welcome back to the fray. An ambitious start with this old chestnut. I do like how clean your work is, so kudos on that.....when you get some filler, in addition to the Supercharger outlet (spigot), you might want to also fill those sink marks on the propeller blades, as they are deep enough to show up under paint. 

Keep the updates coming-and again, welcome to LSP!

THOR    :ph34r:

Thanks for the welcome and advise. Yes, I will await the filler arriving next week and fill the sink marks.  They were bothering me.