"Sugar's Blues" Late War RCAF Lancaster

Uncarina

Tom, thanks for the initial heads-up about the FE intakes, which has set me on yet another learning curve about the Lanc! Mark, thank you also for the clarification, and while the recommended book works it's way here, I have started researching. The Wingnut Wings site has this:

jJivf79.jpg

Based on this I can clearly see that HK (and Eduard) chose to include only the FE radiators, so I will have to think about how to modify them. What is less clear are the differences between the intakes, especially a side by side comparison from the front. In looking at these wartime photos, some indeed look smaller than HK has given us, but by how much?

QiMosJr.jpg

kDXbcvL.jpg

DzQnQAK.jpg

fwmI18R.jpg

Just so you know what you are getting with Wingleader, it is written by Richard Alexander, ex of WNW. This is part 1 of an eventual 3 part set. Part 2 will cover later serials and Part 3 the Mk II and other "Special" types, including the Type 464 "Dambuster".

As to the other Wingleader books, I recommend them w/o reservation.

Be aware however that there appears to be some "issues" right now with postage, in particular to the EU.

HTH

Mark Proulx

“As we climb out, turning to port the noise and reverberation pulsating through the airframe is acute, later our dulled senses will become accustomed to it. Looking down the tall spire of Louth Parish Church passes beneath us. I turn the turret to port and look up, the aircraft appears to be hanging in the sky. A thin film of petrol venting from the full tanks is spreading across the wings and flicks off the edge. I think of the eight tons of high explosive we are virtually sitting on, truly life was a little precarious. Turning, Jim brings us directly over base and reports to our navigator, ‘On course. Now.’”

— Journey's End: Bomber Command's Battle from Arnhem to Dresden and Beyond by Kevin Wilson

https://a.co/1q7C4zZ

At this point I am going for the easier fix and making changes to the radiator. As it happens, I have plenty of fine mesh to work with, so after cutting a piece to shape and adding detail I think I have something to work with. I've just placed it inside the nacelle so I can make changes as necessary and then use it as a template for the other three engines:

HmHp6Zm.jpg

OujcLqn.jpg

Until next time!  Cheers,  Tom

22 hours ago, Mark P said:

Just so you know what you are getting with Wingleader, it is written by Richard Alexander, ex of WNW. This is part 1 of an eventual 3 part set. Part 2 will cover later serials and Part 3 the Mk II and other "Special" types, including the Type 464 "Dambuster".

As to the other Wingleader books, I recommend them w/o reservation.

Be aware however that there appears to be some "issues" right now with postage, in particular to the EU.

HTH

Mark Proulx

I would confirm that this, and subsequent booklets, are recommended  . . .

Wing-Leader-Lancaster.jpg

Edited by Bomber Command nut

2 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Excellent work!

Thanks Brian! I’m having fun, the mojo is flowing...

2 hours ago, Bomber Command nut said:

I like your  technique, getting all four will make it all the better  . . .:clap2:

Ian

Thanks Ian! I’m looking forward to having all of them done and dusted.

Cheers,  Tom