"Sugar's Blues" Late War RCAF Lancaster

Uncarina

I’m really enjoying your work here, Tom - I have this kit in my stash and am frantically taking notes for when the time comes to take the plunge. 

The Lancaster was fitted with two types of radiator - the ‘standard’ version and then later, the ‘far east’ version which was larger (for obvious reasons) and thus had a wider intake. I wonder if HK have gone for the earlier version that had a narrower intake and all together smaller opening than the Far East set up..?

Either way, your mod looks spot on!

Tom

I find the beauty of forums is that people building the same kit, not necessarily at the same time, find small issue that everybody can benefit from . . .

I knew about taking out the bottom rear section of the nacelle(s) to show the rear of the radiator but I hadn't noticed the front top section which I shall try and address.

Many thanks for pointing it out Tom.

Another good point reiased by yourself Tom, alot of issues with the kit but there are alot of good points such as the rivet detail and snug fit of the kit overall . . .

Carry on the good work my friend, its coming together nicely

cheers

Ian

6 hours ago, tomprobert said:

I’m really enjoying your work here, Tom - I have this kit in my stash and am frantically taking notes for when the time comes to take the plunge. 

The Lancaster was fitted with two types of radiator - the ‘standard’ version and then later, the ‘far east’ version which was larger (for obvious reasons) and thus had a wider intake. I wonder if HK have gone for the earlier version that had a narrower intake and all together smaller opening than the Far East set up..?

Either way, your mod looks spot on!

Tom

Tom, it is great to have you watching this, and honored to share something you can benefit from when I have benefited so much from following your builds over the years! I’m basing the modification on reference photos from the Mk.10 restored examples, hope wartime counterparts had this as well!

Cheers,  Tom

3 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Nice detective work Tom and a huge improvement over the base kit parts. It will definitely be worth the extra effort.

Regards. Andy 

Thanks Andy! I figure this will change the look in a distinctive way, it’ll be like getting four nose jobs!

16 minutes ago, Lancman said:

I'm sure the HK kit has the larger intake and it was spotted very early in their mock ups, but very good work on these it's amazing seeing all the mods to get this right.

Thank you! I still love the kit with all of its great features, and fortunately no deal breakers to overcome.

Cheers,  Tom

17 minutes ago, Bomber Command nut said:

I find the beauty of forums is that people building the same kit, not necessarily at the same time, find small issue that everybody can benefit from . . .

I knew about taking out the bottom rear section of the nacelle(s) to show the rear of the radiator but I hadn't noticed the front top section which I shall try and address.

Many thanks for pointing it out Tom.

Another good point reiased by yourself Tom, alot of issues with the kit but there are alot of good points such as the rivet detail and snug fit of the kit overall . . .

Carry on the good work my friend, its coming together nicely

cheers

Ian

Ian, it is great to have your support on this build, and I am glad to be able to contribute something when I have benefited so much from following your work! And yes I would not hesitate to recommend this kit, the good far outweighs the need for improvement.

Cheers,  Tom

Hi Tom,

Really great job you are doing here. I'm a member of other forums, but joined LSP just to chip in on this thread.

Although it is not 'Sugars Blues' I managed to grab this very poor picture of FM213 by sliding my phone through a gap in the hangar doors a few years ago.

It's a photo of 'VeRA' when she was on her UK visit in September 2014. I thought I'd drop it into your thread as this is her sat in Hangar 1 (awaiting a replacement engine) at Teesside Airport, Previously known as RAF Middleton St George, home of 428 Squadron RCAF for the latter part of the war.

Alan

https://flic.kr/p/2kxoFfD

Edited by Engineer66

2 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Tom, it is great to have you watching this, and honored to share something you can benefit from when I have benefited so much from following your builds over the years! I’m basing the modification on reference photos from the Mk.10 restored examples, hope wartime counterparts had this as well!

Cheers,  Tom

As I said I’m really liking your work and the tweaks you are making are taking this to the next level. I have my Lanc lined up ready to go, but have promised myself I won’t start it until I’ve finished one of my other long term projects as I really want to do it justice. 

I don’t know how many wartime Lancs that had the Far East mod were operational over Europe, but no doubt someone more knowledgeable than I will chime in. The BBMF Lanc has them, but this was built too late to see operations, for example. 

All the best,

Tom

Gentlemen:

If I may, I suggest the new Lancaster book from Wingleader as a great reference. Currently, only Part 1 released of an eventual 3 part series. Part 1 covers early production batches. I like that Wingleader identifies all the various Lancaster mods using period photos.

A nice reference is a single page guide identifying things never seen on a Lancaster, Pre 1944.

There is also a section on radiators, which may be pertinent here. Larger radiators were installed on the Far East (FE) version. Most surviving Lancasters depict this mod and the larger radiators have been mistakenly assumed to represent a wartime Lanacaster by kit manufacturers. The FE radiator intake was wider, straighter and deeper. Reference photos accompany the subtle differences.

HTH

Mark Proulx

5 hours ago, Engineer66 said:

Hi Tom,

Really great job you are doing here. I'm a member of other forums, but joined LSP just to chip in on this thread.

Although it is not 'Sugars Blues' I managed to grab this very poor picture of FM213 by sliding my phone through a gap in the hangar doors a few years ago.

It's a photo of 'VeRA' when she was on her UK visit in September 2014. I thought I'd drop it into your thread as this is her sat in Hangar 1 (awaiting a replacement engine) at Teesside Airport, Previously known as RAF Middleton St George, home of 428 Squadron RCAF for the latter part of the war.

Alan

https://flic.kr/p/2kxoFfD

Alan, first, welcome to LSP! Second, I am honored that you would join the forum for my build. Thank you for sending this photo. One of the things I love about this build is that so many have a personal connection with Lancasters that gets shared here. I am definitely on a learning curve about this aircraft, and to get a firsthand perspective really adds a valuable dimension. Feel free to chime in anytime!

Cheers,  Tom

3 hours ago, Mark P said:

Gentlemen:

If I may, I suggest the new Lancaster book from Wingleader as a great reference. Currently, only Part 1 released of an eventual 3 part series. Part 1 covers early production batches. I like that Wingleader identifies all the various Lancaster mods using period photos.

A nice reference is a single page guide identifying things never seen on a Lancaster, Pre 1944.

There is also a section on radiators, which may be pertinent here. Larger radiators were installed on the Far East (FE) version. Most surviving Lancasters depict this mod and the larger radiators have been mistakenly assumed to represent a wartime Lanacaster by kit manufacturers. The FE radiator intake was wider, straighter and deeper. Reference photos accompany the subtle differences.

HTH

Mark Proulx

Mark,

Thanks for passing this reference along. I will go ahead and order this. The preview pages look pretty impressive!

Cheers,  Tom