Kittyhawk F-86L & F-5A?

thierry laurent

Hi guys, 

I'm wondering if we will ever see such variants? The Sabre is just a matter of new decals as all sprues are existing in the D & K boxes. There are some very nice ANG schemes that could be reproduced. For the freedom fighters, they already have the full front and rear fuselage as well as all the wing details. So, it is just a matter of a center fuselage and wing sprue. If I'm right this was mentioned as a future release when the Tiger was announced. 

The forward fuselage is the same - or in modelling terms very similar - between the F-5A and F-5E.  The cockpit, rear fuselage, wings (with LERX), main undercarriage, wheels, exhausts and tailfin to fuselage interface is different.  Res-Kit seem to think that there is a 1:32 kit of the F-5A in progress since they have released wheels for the F-5A/B in that scale.

Alas I do not think so as Reskit is simply releasing the same item in different scales (as they did for other topics) . BTW I got the A wheels set for my Belcher conversion.

If you look at the Kitty Hawk E sprues, you will see that most of the parts that can be recycled to make a F-5A are on distinct sprues. Globally they have to change sprues A and B. I'm possibly naive but as the F-5A was mentioned when the E was announced I'm not that sure this was a random choice... 

An interesting information for the Sabre Dog afficionados: it looks the nice Norvegian sharkmouth 337 squadron scheme included in the F-86K kit was at least initially using the standard wings whereas the kit has the longer F40 ones. An here comes the interesting part: the kit also has a useless F-86L scheme. However, you can mix and match the F-86K and F-86D kits to get a short wing F-86K and the long wing F-86L. You have close to all the parts and decals to recreate both of them.  Some small components are still required for the Lima such as one or two small antennas and small cockpit components such as boxes under the canopy but this stays quite marginal.