DH 82A Tiger Moth S Rhodesia 1943

mozart

28 minutes ago, geedubelyer said:

What an excellent result Max. Your custom windscreens are so much better than the kit parts and definitely enhance the overall finish. 

Will you reinstate those fuselage elements designed to suit the thicker kit parts?

Maybe Guy, but they weren't that obvious on the real thing so it might be more trouble than it's worth, I'll have a ponder.  Going to watch England v Ireland rugby this afternoon so not much modelling today!

On 11/23/2020 at 10:00 PM, Normandy said:

Magnific build, but I want know, do you prefer Matchbox or Siver Wings ?

Bruno

Well Bruno, the Silver Wings kit is definitely the better one in every respect except (in my opinion) the wheels. I like the fact that the Matchbox wheels don’t have the covers on them. I AM concerned about how robust the tiny parts are, all the control horns in resin will be extremely fragile I think and easily damaged, so I’m pleased that I made mine out of brass. 

I’ve been trying to find the best way of doing the windshields, a one-piece “glazing” doesn’t work that well when the windshield sides are folded back so I’m trying individual pieces but the area to glue these is tiny. I’ve tried Kristal Klear but it’s not clear enough. More work today! 

1XJRVY.jpg

Now the Kristal Klear one has fully dried it's not too bad, given that this image is of course many times bigger than the real one. Hmmm :hmmm:

Edited by mozart

I've got three builds going at the moment; the Tiger Moth (windshields), Hunter T7 (undercarriage) and a commission-build Fw44 Stieglitz (internal framing) - they are all at a "fiddly stage" where progress is slow and patience-testing!  The Tiggie's windshields are on and I'm currently setting up the jig ready for fitting the top wing, tomorrow with luck! 

Well this was supposed to just be a trial fit, but having got everything set up it seemed a shame to take it all apart, so I’ve glued the interplane struts on the lower wing only. I need to consider my options for rigging before going further and probably get lines attached to the upper wing. 

You’re busy with your lovely Lanc Tom, and making a good job of it too. I reluctantly sold mine recently, just couldn’t see myself building it despite being a massive fan and having close links with two Lancaster squadrons. And of course the vast majority of Lanc pilots started here, on the little old Tiger Moth!  One of my friends, now sadly deceased, was a flight engineer on a Lancaster, he was “scrubbed” from pilot training because he couldn’t land the Tiger Moth! I pity his instructor. 

13 hours ago, mozart said:

Don’t worry about catching up Chris, just pleased that you’re liking what you see especially as a tried and tested Tiger Moth builder! :D

Hi Max

I don't know about tried and tested,  you were my saviour on that model with all your lovely photos and invaluable info fella.

Typical isn't it none for years and then three all at once, well almost.  I must say I am not tempted to buy any.  But will be very interested to see what the ICM release will be like, after the Gladiator.  

Keep up the good work 

Chris