DH 82A Tiger Moth S Rhodesia 1943

mozart

17 minutes ago, mozart said:

Exactly that Andy! I always try to drill the recess hole as close to the angle of the rigging as possible. This is Prym which I’ve coloured. All the other rigging bits will be stretched sprue. 

You cheeky lil bugger!  :lol: I never noticed you recessed those! Now thats bit of a brilliant plan eh?    Did you just drill part of the way down and stop, or have it marked on the drill bit somehow?  I even missed how you sunk the eyelets in, assuming you tied it off prior to inserting in the hole?

do-tell-i.jpg

The good news is that the top wing is on and all's square and looking promising, though the not so good news is that I'm concerned about the dihedral of the lower wing in particular.  The problem goes right back to the design and structure of the Tiger Moth itself, the angle of the wing where it attaches to the fuselage translates into a very small area on the model to put glue and secure the wings, especially given that they are solid lumps of resin and therefore quite weighty.  

The Matchbox/Revell approach of having large tabs on the underfuselage which protrude by the best part of a cm into the wings was a good one....if only they had got the angle of the tabs right!  The Silver Wings resin kit doesn't have that option, and even the extra rod that I've put in may not be adequate strength-wise.  We'll see once the cabane struts and rigging is all in place!

2hHbj0.jpg

80oDb2.jpg

3FBTYF.jpg

A few more photographs that I've found of the Tiger Moths of 28 EFTS Mt Hampden where Dad did his ab initio flying training, these were in 1941, it's interesting to see how the markings have changed.

P7ftbD.jpg

87fS65.jpg

DW9llD.jpg

ThiUps.png

An aerial shot, Mt Hampden is out there somewhere.  Rhodesia is 4500' above sea level, the poor old Gypsy Moth engines really struggled at times with the thinner air!

6lxEdd.png

Edited by mozart

Must admit I'm having a bit of a struggle with the Tiggie at the moment!!  I've built resin models, I've built Silver Wing models, I've done multi-media conversions, I've built vac-form, I've built biplanes etc., but this model is probably the most challenging one that I've ever tackled.  It's mainly down to the fragility of the Tiger Moth and the absence of definite location points for parts.......like the instructions it's all a bit vague.  These pictures show the cabane struts in place - the rear one is single piece , the front an inverted vee.  I've since learned through trial and error (there's quite a lot of that with this kit) that it's best to fit the front vee struts first to the fuselage then to the side/underside of the fuel tank, followed by the single upright once the vees are firmly set.  It's still work in progress and very fraught! :crying:

HQJn6x.jpg

21jAfl.jpg

LVc7gH.jpg

33 minutes ago, VW Chris 1969 said:

Cor blimey Max , it does look like you are having a bit of fun with that there Tiggie.   It is a shame about the vague nature of the instructions and locating pins etc.  Hope all is good when the rigging is done . Enjoy your glass or two of wine, you deserve it fella. 

Chris

The Matchbox one, with all its faults, is a simpler build for sure Chris! :rolleyes:

On 12/7/2020 at 9:08 PM, mozart said:

Must admit I'm having a bit of a struggle with the Tiggie at the moment!!  I've built resin models, I've built Silver Wing models, I've done multi-media conversions, I've built vac-form, I've built biplanes etc., but this model is probably the most challenging one that I've ever tackled.

Indeed it’s EPIC, Max! :bow:

Us rank-and-file plastic stirrers, will patiently wait for our ICM saviour.

Now back to the sofa.:popcorn:

Cheers,

Quang

9 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

I wish that were true for me!

Kev

But you’re over the main hurdle of the conversion now Kev aren’t you? 

9 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

I hope the dihedral angles worked out in the end!

Alain

Not really sure yet Alain till all the rigging’s completed and the model is off the jig. Sometimes I look at it and think it’s going to be ok, but other times less so. 

11 minutes ago, quang said:

Indeed it’s EPIC, Max! :bow:

Us rank-and-file plastic stirrers, will patiently wait for our ICM saviour.

Now back to the sofa.:popcorn:

Cheers,

Quang

Blood, sweat and tears Quang.......character forming y’know! I just hope the sum of the parts is going to be worth the effort! I’ll have to build an ICM one later as a comparison with both the Matchbox and SW one, for sure they’ll come up with a user-friendly solution to strut location and placement like their Gladiator. 

Edited by mozart

1 hour ago, mozart said:
1 hour ago, quang said:

Blood, sweat and tears Quang.......character forming y’know! I just hope the sum of the parts is going to be worth the effort! I’ll have to build an ICM one later as a comparison with both the Matchbox and SW one, for sure they’ll come up with a user-friendly solution to strut location and placement like their Gladiator. 

Good as the future ICM would be, it will not replace the experience you’ve gained while battling with the SW.

Cheers,

Quang