Test Build: 1:32 Flying Start Models Tornado F Mk.3 Conversion (Revell base)

Iain

49 minutes ago, Stokey Pete said:

Blimey, this is a bit good! 
Bless the people who brought 3D printing to the mass market, enabling us to fill big gaps in our modelling wish lists. If nobody makes one, we get to design and ‘print’ our own. 

Printing is the easy bit!!! CAD is where it's at.... Practise, practise, practise!

5 minutes ago, Stokey Pete said:

I tried that once, it was a foreign language to me. One skill I shall leave to people way more talented and intelligent than me. 

Pete, you are a modeller so halfway there already. Try the intro tutorials for something like www.tinkercad.com, just to see the basics. I think you will surprise yourself. Start simple.... You can move onto more capable programs later. Give it a go. 

4 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

The air intakes and fuselage bulkhead are the most obvious items missing in the original kit. It is weird realizing nobody considered seriously the release of such parts for some decades...:hmmm:

I have had the intake ducting designed for some time, but have never really been happy with the production methods. I can build the ducts on my FormLabs printer, so they will be smooth, but they will cost a fair bit! Anyone interested in that route, PM me.  In HIPS, on the FDM machine, they are much less costly, but the surface is not brilliant,  and smoothing them is very difficult.... They will be difficult to cast as well, making it a very labour intensive process, which makes them expensive again!  iknow Iain hase been experimenting with solvent smoothing, and I have tried Vapour smoothing too, but its a bit hit an miss!!

Happy New Year, in the meantime!

On 12/23/2020 at 12:25 AM, Stokey Pete said:

I tried that once, it was a foreign language to me. One skill I shall leave to people way more talented and intelligent than me. 

I started in March this year. Downloaded the program & went for it. I should’ve done it years ago!

• 4 weeks later...

Intake trunking: I'll post some photos later - but having had the inside surfaces 'painted' with solvent, followed by sanding, followed by several dips in a container of slightly thinned white emulsion, I think i have some thing that's perfectly usable!

Some other progress too - stand by...

Iain

OK - trunking still drying - emulsion takes a lot longer than Tamiya Acrylics!  :whistle:

In the mean-time...

48b427_86c81501c1f743d28aece4ba2074073f~

The 3D-printed turbine blades - painted gloss black, then Alclad, then black-wash - will look great at the end of the trunking!

48b427_9dfc67aba96045f0aba06f0635e9416c~

Underside - with a few surface details removed and the holes for the stores pylons of the IDS kits plugged with stretched strue and sanded flush. Next step is to mark out positions for the missile fins...

I've made the decision to use the main cockpit tubs as supplied by Aires - there are some differences with the F Mk.3 - but with the main panels suitably changed I don't think many will notice - bar any ex. aircrew!

48b427_b0801d9fdaa54032a5fd7c78bcab28fc~

Excuse the dust and marks - they are clean!

48b427_5f349ed96d00412fa8361503e2fd3b7b~

For the sections of yellow/black striping I've used Airscale sheet AS32 DAN "Modern Cockpit Dataplate and Warning Decals" - hugely recommended!

Moving onto the forward fuselage shells - and ignoring the panel detail as most of that will have to be changed for the ADV...

The port cannon opening has been filled - one advantage of using the ECR release of Revell's kit is that it includes suitable blanks, but filling would have been relatively straightforward.

48b427_9f66cf0a153b4f94831bb9aa1269a2ed~

Before going further I wanted to cut out and glaze the canopy emergency jettison panel - but note that it's higher and a little forward from the position on the IDS variants!

The hole was made to the right size and the redundant head-up display glazing from the kit (part 20) was used to glaze - super-glued in place after going around the edges with a black permanent marker.

48b427_8eab967fdb01411eb785b756a0cb0917~

This was then sanded flush - and polished with Novus Plastic Polish.

'By a modellers' transparencies, let them be judged' - or something like that!  :coolio:

Thanks guys - starting to get a little MoJo restoration with this build...

More progress on the flying surfaces - joints prepped. I do like the fine surface detail on these:

48b427_715c5ffe33594e86840d33683bd7ba1d~

Tail surfaces - will replace the pivots with brass rod:

48b427_127362ed399742fb9d472512953a132e~

Wings - with outer pylon pivots filled with stretched sprue - and tip lights fitted.

48b427_5e799756dbd54f0792441ecff37f4b93~

Outboard pylon pivot shows just a little darker - but surface now perfect:

48b427_5847c7092904409d94c53067567eefe8~

The tip lights are the kit parts, with the rear faces coloured with permanent marker, before super-gluing in place, sanding and polishing:

48b427_166d2b3abc3643dc8e1b9e54a8609570~

Planning to get the front fuselage closed up over the weekend - and might just get the rear fuselage together as well.

Have fun!

Iain