Tamiya F-4J Phantom VMFA-232 Red Devils *Finished*

AlbertD

5 hours ago, vvwse4 said:

Looking good!!

Will you use the kit's variable intake ramps, aka splitter plates, or do you have aftermarket for those. I see that one of the connection strips broke off with your build also.

Look forward to more!

Rick

Thanks Rick, The resin intakes came with a set of intake ramps. I will be using those.

I've been working on fitting the Aires cockpit tub to the fuselage and can't see where I'm going wrong. It fits in the upper fuselage like a glove but after grinding the bottom of the tub so much I can see light through it the bottom fuselage won't fit well. I know it's snagging on the inside of the wheel well and I've taken off the resin part about as much as I dare. I can get it to close up but it takes a bit of force to squeeze together. Will this be OK or should I keep trimming? Do you guys have any suggestions? 

5 hours ago, AlbertD said:

I've been working on fitting the Aires cockpit tub to the fuselage and can't see where I'm going wrong. It fits in the upper fuselage like a glove but after grinding the bottom of the tub so much I can see light through it the bottom fuselage won't fit well. I know it's snagging on the inside of the wheel well and I've taken off the resin part about as much as I dare. I can get it to close up but it takes a bit of force to squeeze together. Will this be OK or should I keep trimming? Do you guys have any suggestions? 

Hmmm, I would like to help, especially as I will be using the Aires pit too.

Can you take a couple of pics so I can see what the issue is and we can see if we can find a solution?

10 hours ago, AlbertD said:

Hi Albert,

Had the same problem. Kep grinding the top of the wheel well to get that one as thin as possible. The wheel well is think enough so grinding there is not a problem. I Also pay attention to the backside of the tub and the kitpart, and I cutted off the parts where you would screw the tub to the fuselage and removed the part where the refulling probe was placed. I spended quite a lot of time, force and CA glue in the end too get that one fixed. Hope this helps.

Rick

9 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Hmmm, I would like to help, especially as I will be using the Aires pit too.

Can you take a couple of pics so I can see what the issue is and we can see if we can find a solution?

4 hours ago, vvwse4 said:

Hi Albert,

Had the same problem. Kep grinding the top of the wheel well to get that one as thin as possible. The wheel well is think enough so grinding there is not a problem. I Also pay attention to the backside of the tub and the kitpart, and I cutted off the parts where you would screw the tub to the fuselage and removed the part where the refulling probe was placed. I spended quite a lot of time, force and CA glue in the end too get that one fixed. Hope this helps.

Rick

I have not even put the Aires cockpit together yet. I am just trying to fit the bare tub. Here are pictures of what I have removed so far.

IMG-0678.jpg

IMG-0677.jpg

IMG-0676.jpg

Did a bit more fitting and after taking off a bit more material from the bottom of the tub and the top of the wheel well (see marked area) it fits better. I think it's good to go now. Like Rick said above it will probably need some fitting around the inside of the fuselage once the side are on the cockpit.

On a side note, the resin components of the Aires cockpit are really nice. They look great and go together perfectly. 

IMG-0681.jpg

10 hours ago, spyrosjzmichos said:

Albert, that's some great progress and wealth of information!

I will be following with great interest!

Just keep in mind that the Eduard exhausts are undersized unfortunately.

Best to try and find a pair of Sierra Hotel or GT resin exhausts which have the correct diameter for the Tamiya kit.

Thank you. I am aware that the Eduard exhausts are undersized. I think the Sierra Hotel parts are almost impossible to get right now. I will look into the GT set though. As far as the Eduard goes they are pretty close and do have nice detail. They made them the same diameter as the kit parts so they must be undersized too. Makes me wonder where they all fell short in the design. I guess they copy mistakes.

Just a quick update. The Aires cockpit is about ready to fit into the fuselage. I'm pretty happy with the way it looks. Looking at pictures of the real thing the buttons and knobs tend to be pretty subdued so that is what I went for. I didn't want them to be too bright though being in the dark recesses it might have been the better way to go. Should be able to close it up tomorrow.

IMG-0683.jpg

IMG-0684.jpg

IMG-0685.jpg

IMG-0686.jpg