Got my jet back from rehab- The Wave

Hey Pete, I've got a question about the lap belts in the F-16 (and probably applies to other ACES II seat applications as well).  Since you're a veteran pilot with loads of sore rear end hours in that seat, let me ask this:  With most of us building models with the lap belts neatly folded (or crossed) on the seat, is that a realistic staging of the lap belts?  I got the question in my head when I revisited your photo of you climbing into the cockpit of the F-16 and thought "Is he just going to sit on those lap belts and then move them?  Are they positioned in real life as in models or is there another explanation?  Can you enlighten me (and probably many more of us) how these belts are laid out prior to the pilot plunking down in the front seat?  I've always wondered abut staging of the seat belts....I know in the commercial world, we would cross them on the pax seats but not the flight crew seats.

On 9/8/2021 at 10:17 AM, Juggernut said:

Hey Pete, I've got a question about the lap belts in the F-16 (and probably applies to other ACES II seat applications as well).  Since you're a veteran pilot with loads of sore rear end hours in that seat, let me ask this:  With most of us building models with the lap belts neatly folded (or crossed) on the seat, is that a realistic staging of the lap belts?  I got the question in my head when I revisited your photo of you climbing into the cockpit of the F-16 and thought "Is he just going to sit on those lap belts and then move them?  Are they positioned in real life as in models or is there another explanation?  Can you enlighten me (and probably many more of us) how these belts are laid out prior to the pilot plunking down in the front seat?  I've always wondered abut staging of the seat belts....I know in the commercial world, we would cross them on the pax seats but not the flight crew seats.

Great question!

Most crewchiefs will extend out the lap belts, running them forward so the buckle-ends rest on the forward edge of the thigh area of the seat cushion, parallel to each other. This allows the pilot to sit down without sitting on the straps and buckles. The straps are parallel to and outside of your thighs when you sit down.

most modelers also have the survival kit straps waaay too long. They are typically about 4 fingers width, and get cinched down when connected.

The shoulder straps are typically flipped back and placed on either side of the head rest. This is because the crewchief will connect them to your harness for you and then give them a tug-check.

HTH

Pete

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

1 hour ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

Great question!

Most crewchiefs will extend out the lap belts, running them forward so the buckle-ends rest on the forward edge of the thigh area of the seat cushion, parallel to each other. This allows the pilot to sit down without sitting on the straps and buckles. The straps are parallel to and outside of your thighs when you sit down.

most modelers also have the survival kit straps waaay too long. They are typically about 4 fingers width, and get sinched down when connected.

The shoulder straps are typically flipped back and placed on either side of the head rest. This is because the crewchief will connect them to your harness for you and then give them a tug-check.

HTH

Pete

Thanks so much...great information!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

…but there are folks who could not care less.  Back in my blue suit days on a red eye back from a TDY, was gazing out my window at a breathtaking thunderstorm dawn.  Magnificent cloudscapes as far as I could see.  I mean truly breathtaking.  Looked around the cabin to see if anyone else was enjoying the show.  I was the only one; no one else gave a crap.  So it was just me and the front-end crew sharing a true gift from God so few of us have ever seen.

5 minutes ago, Oldbaldguy said:

…but there are folks who could not care less.  Back in my blue suit days on a red eye back from a TDY, was gazing out my window at a breathtaking thunderstorm dawn.  Magnificent cloudscapes as far as I could see.  I mean truly breathtaking.  Looked around the cabin to see if anyone else was enjoying the show.  I was the only one; no one else gave a crap.  So it was just me and the front-end crew sharing a true gift from God so few of us have ever seen.

I see it all the time deadheading in the cabin. Everyone has the shade pulled down and earbuds in. If I open the shade to look out the window everyone looks at me with a vampire scowl.

I love flying at night (the overnight bus from Logan to Manchester UK) Looking down on the city lights, the phosheressance of the ocean waves (seen only occasionally), and especially the dawn. Only seen the Northern Lights from the ground so far, but one is hopefull.  While doing my night flights for the ppl I did see fireworks from above, that was a trip. Regards, Pete in RI

5 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

I see it all the time deadheading in the cabin. Everyone has the shade pulled down and earbuds in. If I open the shade to look out the window everyone looks at me with a vampire scowl.

I’ll bet half of ‘em cranked up FlightSim on their computers as soon as they got home because the graphics are “so real”.