Film Stars of the Battle of Britain, er, lots: might have got a tad carried away...!

Time to nail colours to the mast....a build of (a lot of) the stars from one of the greatest warbird films of all time. 

Spitfires: Mk1a, MkIIa, Mk Vb, Mk Vc, 3 x  Mk IX and a PR XIX 

Hurricane Mk IIc

Buchon

And if I don't run out of time 

Casa /He 111

B 25 Cameraship, the famous Psychedelic Monster of Jeff Hawke.

My tame computer expert ( who bares a striking resemblance to my good lady wife.....!) informs me my issues with posting images are to be solved imminently, so here we go (gulp!): My first group build. Literally!

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

• pmRwiWIqjpn8tVFb9jso, zee  test  is successful!! Oh wow. I came very close to persuading this device with a hammer!! But, we're there. 
  • The Spitfire is the BBMF's P7350, right after filming wrapped following delivery/return to the RAF at Coltishall (I think). 
  • The box contains some of the goodies I've accrued for this project- since the picture was taken its probably doubled!!!
  • So, I've started with the Revell MkIIa and Spitfire  Mk1a Ar213, since that was what Revell used as their reference and added the rather nice Pavla cockpit upgrade with their improved resin sidewallspnwllv9Mjapologies for the wobbly image! Will try harder! More to follow....
  • Blue Skies!
  • Captain Boogaloo

Mozart,

Thanks very much for your kind offer, but I had to get there myself!! Would never remember how to do it if someone else sorted it for me!

Mike C,

Silence! In Polish!!! No, sorry I'm planning to put the Buchon into the Yellow 10 scheme, partly because I've already snagged some nice Decals for that scheme and partly because I've already crawled all over her at Duxford!

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

Well done Cap’n, pictures! They are a little fuzzy to be honest, and I always think it helps to separate each picture with a space to help with seeing and understanding them, especially when the background is the same in each one.  Spit’s coming on well though. :)

Thanks very much for those kind words and advice, Gentlemen, I think I may have already improved the next set of pictures by simply...cleaning the camera lens!! Whoops! It looked like it had never been cleaned!! 

And it's now two Buchon on the build list ( entirely Mozart's fault!!) since I discovered that Buchon Scale Models now has a website, not just a facething page!......I tried, I really did. But I couldn't resist ordering one of their sublime conversion sets ( really designed for the hasegawa 109, but I know a chap who has made a decent fist of adapting it to the Revell budget offering.....so a package should be leaving Norway very soon!) My other Buchon is the old Grey Matter one (which they don't seem to be selling anymore, so should be interesting comparing them!). More shortly!

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

• 3 weeks later...

A long overdue update; been a rather long time since I made a silicone mold and pulled some resin copies and the initial results were, well let's say there was considerable room for improvement! But a bit of luck on ebay saw the purchase of a vacuum vessel and pump to remove those pesky airbubbles which always seem to be in the worst place when the mold goes off. I need a number of four blade Spitfire rotol propeller blades and spinners, plus few other twiddly bits, so a few copies of Tamiya's splendid MkIX propeller assembly seemed like a good idea. 

Also doing all the prep work on some of the aftermarket parts, drilling out the lightening holes in what seems like a hundred Spitfire cockpit sets!!poI00TYfj

But making progress on the Buchon bad guys, too: now up to three!!. Very tempted to make it four for a 'rotte' , but could not resist filling a hole in my book collection:pmS6UJe2j

It goes rather well with this:poKeLvHaj

And this was hard to pass up, too!:-)pmncVCgJj

More shortly...!

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

Some of the Buchon opposition...( Early fits seem promising!)po3rvry3j

Older Grey Matter conversion seems eminently adaptable to the Revell G6, shame it's not available at the moment( although I understand GM will be bringing it back in due course); the Attitude Aviation set will be compared soon - it does look quite saucy - a high quality bit o'stuff; and great decals (for the BoB film fan!!)

pnBEBAPLj

Which I am happy to be counted as!! 

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

This sounds like a fun endeavor. Best of luck with all you are doing.

The movie is just amazing and those Spitfires and Hurricanes in the sky always get to me. Churchill accurately described the fact that so much is owed to those who fought in any capacity. They "saved Western Civilization" and we owe them thanks. This seems like a great way to do that.

Tnarg

Hello Gentlemen,

Thanks very much for your replies; if I may answer your posts in reverse order...

Rob, sorry to say currently the p!an is to finish all three Buchons in the 'Luftwaffe 'type markings ( although you've planted the idea....and I now have some nice pics of the Polish ' Hurricane ' Buchons.  Still, probably not since the novelty of explanation would rapidly grow stale!)

Tnarg, 

Yes, I agree totally with your sentiments, and I would add that the film also really started the flying warbird movement in the UK, something of great personal importance to me. 

I hope I get everything finished by the deadline, but since the IPMS Telford show doesn't look likely this year, I might be in for the long haul, as I now have some fine interior shots of the B25 camera ship, and a tweak list for the he 111 to Casa conversion. Plus I need some cabinets for these and other large scale projects. Relaxing, this hobby of ours!!

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo