A6M2b Zero - Attack on Pearl Harbor - 1/32 Tamiya

Alex

2 hours ago, turbo said:

Looking very nice indeed Alex! I like the aotake tin!

It was originally the container for some fancy teabags that my wife’s friend sent over from Cambridge (UK, not our local one).  Once the tea was done, I absconded with it.  It is now my “finished small parts to not lose” tin.

Prop and spinner.  Will be flat coated to kill the glossy red eventually.  I've started working on engine plumbing.  It's slow going and partial gizmology, trying to line up grainy photos with the parts Tamiya has provided.  I'm heading out for a week's vacation on Saturday; not sure I'll have any worthy progress photos before then...

poIOWgPjj

Back of the prop blades is red-brown, per IJNAF spec.  I've also painted up a few other things like the cowling and 20mm cannon barrels, so the endgame is feeling closer on this one, slowly.  Looking back at when I started this thread, if I can wrap this up by the end of September it will be three months of pretty steady work.  I remain happy with how it is shaping up but am also starting to look forward to the next project (which will be something different and hopefully not as complex).   

Edited by Alex

10 hours ago, AlbertD said:

Every last detail looks fantastic. It's too bad so much of that great work will be covered up but at least your getting plenty of good photos.

Albert, thanks for the good word!  My hope is that with the cowling and engine access panels removable by design on this kit (thanks Tamiya), a lot of this detail will be visible on the finished model.  At some point I am looking forward to building Tamiya’s 1/32 Mustang and Spitfire kits for the same reason - they are designed with removable engine access panels so you can go to town on mechanical details and not end up burying them where they will never be seen.

14 minutes ago, Alex said:

Albert, thanks for the good word!  My hope is that with the cowling and engine access panels removable by design on this kit (thanks Tamiya), a lot of this detail will be visible on the finished model.  At some point I am looking forward to building Tamiya’s 1/32 Mustang and Spitfire kits for the same reason - they are designed with removable engine access panels so you can go to town on mechanical details and not end up burying them where they will never be seen.

Hi Alex

What you done is beyond superb can’t wait to see this and other finished products. My Tamiya zero just got bumped up the que and I’ll be using your build as a guide:D

Daz

7 minutes ago, Pup7309 said:

Hi Alex

What you done is beyond superb can’t wait to see this and other finished products. My Tamiya zero just got bumped up the que and I’ll be using your build as a guide:D

Daz

Thanks!  I really appreciate your comments.  I honestly still feel like a beginner at this stuff - there are a number of truly skilled builders who post on this forum and whose abilities I hope someday to emulate.  I hope you enjoy building your Zero!  It is an excellent kit.

Prepainted the fabric-covered control surfaces with white to make sure they are distinct after the final paintjob.

pmvLwo4Sj

And installed the little aero covers for the aileron control linkages (with wire links).  Note that this is an approximation of the actual plane based on the kit parts.  For the way to subtly change these to be more exactly accurate, see Sean's A6M5 build.  I decided that I was going to call this way good enough.

pmzbOI8Fj

Then worked up the nerve to shoot the color coat on the fuselage.  I'm pretty happy with how it looks.  The rivet/panel detail is still pretty strong.  I'm going to let it sit until I get back from vacation and then decide if I am adding more IJN Gray or if it's good and I'm on to painting insignia and identification marks.  I got the Bregun wet transfer decals set (first time I've tried them) so I'll use that for all the stencils and other things too small to paint.

poy1vQgZj

pmf6z1tbj

12 hours ago, Alex said:

I didn't realize the panels were removable on this kit. Your build has inspired me to order one for myself. I have a Mustang, Corsair and Spitfire already so this will help round out the set. I have not built one yet but thanks to you one of these will be next.

That looks really sharp, Alex. Good color and the pre painted white definitely helped keep things distinct. I might go with a bit more gray to tone the rivets and panel lines down, but additional weathering, layers, etc. whatever you have planned might do the same!

7 minutes ago, Brett M said:

That looks really sharp, Alex. Good color and the pre painted white definitely helped keep things distinct. I might go with a bit more gray to tone the rivets and panel lines down, but additional weathering, layers, etc. whatever you have planned might do the same!

That is what I'm thinking.  Because this is supposed to be a fairly new aircraft, that just joined the Soryu air wing prior to Pearl Harbor, I'm not going to do a lot of weathering on top of this paint layer.  I may go back in with the 0.2mm airbrush and try to tone some of the darkest bits down in a targeted way before moving on to painting insignia.

Hello Alex,

The build looks great, watching your work has got me back at my work table again after a four year hiatus (but that's another story).  I put together about the furthest possible  Zero from what would be posted on these pages - a 1/144th scale Sweet A6M2-N Rufe.

I'll keep watching to see how everything turns out.

Ryan