Spitfire Mk 1 - the best route

scimitarf1

3 hours ago, RLWP said:

My understanding is, the kit I have has the Hasegawa MK.V fuselage with new Revell wings. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-04715-supermarine-spitfire-mki-ii--155519

This is not the current MK.II kit

Richard

Just to illustrate the point, when Radu re-issued the Warbird's Griffon engined noses for the Hasegawa Mk V (as used on the Revell hybrid release) he modified them to extend back to include the upper fuel tank to the cockpit bulkhead. This allowed the lower fuselage parts to be bent in to give a better, if not perfect horseshoe section to the fuselage. The Hasegawa as was originally pointed out, is too slab sided, which becomes apparent beside the Tamiya.

Speaking of which, I have seen in recent years a Japanese modeler who modified his Tamiya into a Mk I. This is a good thing if portraying the evolution is your thing as it allows the consistency of the original unchanged elements to contrast with the modifications as the type developed.

The thing that amazes me about this is all the effort required to get a good representation of what is undoubtedly one of the most important aircraft ever flown, yet we  get how many different releases of every version of the 109??? Of all the Tamiya wishing that I have read, this would be the ONE subject that I would like them to do. Even better if they went with raised rivets, but that's REALLY dreaming...

Just now, eoyguy said:

Even better if they went with raised rivets, but that's REALLY dreaming...

You could do what Supermarine did and glue them on - split peas in the case of K5054

Richard

24 minutes ago, eoyguy said:

The thing that amazes me about this is all the effort required to get a good representation of what is undoubtedly one of the most important aircraft ever flown, yet we  get how many different releases of every version of the 109??? Of all the Tamiya wishing that I have read, this would be the ONE subject that I would like them to do. Even better if they went with raised rivets, but that's REALLY dreaming...

It is amazing that after all this time that is the case in 1/32. You would have thought someone would have done it justicefor the 80th anniversary. 

5 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Indeed.

Anyone wanting to do a Mk.I should get the brand new Wingleader book. Note it is not fully comprehensive as it is not a walkaround book and there are many subtle differences that appeared during the Mk.I production but this is currently the best source.

Is this the book you are speaking of?

s-l500

3 hours ago, eoyguy said:

0.2mm drill, 0.25mm solder balls, brushload of Future. Once you get into the rhythm... Who am I kidding. Boring boring boring, but it don't 'alf look good when it's done! I have a pic somewhere.....

As Thierry says, the wings on the original 1/32 Revell Mk I Spitfire are a bit short in span. They are also a bit broad in chord. This is compared to the plans prepared by Cox and Lee, traced by Lloyd, published in Scale Models Magazine (sorry, don't have the issue details, just a page no. - 191) These are to 1/48 scale.

In fact, the wings match the plans in span - when laid flat. They are a bit short when you take the dihedral into account.

Edited by Pete Roberts

If you love Spitfires, or even just have an interest in modelling them, I can highly recommend these notes accumulated from information shared by a renowned Spitfire expert on britmodeller, Edgar Brooks. Edgar was a regular visitor the UK National Archives in Kew and dug out a LOT of helpful info. Sadly he passed away a while back but has left a wonderful legacy.

https://www.jonbius.com/edgar-brooks-spitfire-notes/

As well as general info on the Spitfire, there are modelling tweaks and notes on making a Mk I from the new Revell Mk II

Edited by Pete Roberts