Trumpeter 1:16 Jagdtiger

LSP_K2

After some additional "tweaking", vertical hull plate now also firmly welded into position, and given a healthy dose of liquid putty at the seams.

0zerw0.jpg

Glamor shot with roof plate, also finished, temporarily in position. I'll leave this to be glued on later though, for various reasons.

rni3mH.jpg

9 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Looks grand Kev

Thanks a bunch, Brian. Well, due to my own ignorance/impatience, it seems I may have gotten some of the road wheel poly bushings mismatched with their corresponding wheels. Unbeknownst to me until just a few minutes ago, the bushings are different for the inner and outer road wheels. How many of them are messed up, I'm trying to determine right now. Certainly not the end of the world, as the bushings/torsion bars can be tweaked to fit, but still a bit of a disappointment that my approach so far has been "damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead", and has caused me numerous problems with this kit, though in no way is a reflection of the kit being at fault.

Thanks, Rich. I've already solved the issue with the wheels; a 5/16" drill bit spins out the poly inserts on the wheels that have the wrong ones installed, but wheel fit to the torsion bars is still snug (thanks goodness), so I can still move forward onto more "stuff".  A word to the wise, poly caps P1 & P2 are different, one from the other, so special attention needs to be paid to which is going where. I swear they all looked the same to me, but they are definitely not.

3 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

special attention needs to be paid to which is going where.

A digression.

Today, I began putting this crankshaft together:

109777621_1718924038274568_8824454972906

Being a marine engine, the crank feeds into the block from the end. This means two of the main bearings have huge circular housings that locate in the block with an anti rotation pin. Just a bit around the circumference of the housing is the oil feed hole. This means you have to get the housings the right way around, otherwise the oil hole doesn't line up.

I've thought carefully about this, checked it multiple times including standing next to the block to get the orientation right, then walking to the crank and standing next to that WITHOUT LETTING GO of the housing

I bet I have still got them the wrong way around...

Ahem - carry one, Kevin

Richard

34 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

Yea, it does pretty well for a 4", it's just a shame the light pollution here is so lousy.

I have a 200mm Fullerscope reflector, which I rarely get around to using. For instant fun, the cheap 1960's 60mm Prinz takes some beating

I'm not seriously into astronomy, I just like the technology

Richard

I'm currently debating a 5", 6" or 8" "go-to" refractor, but if I do it won't be until next year sometime. First I think I'll be taking the plunge on a Trumpeter 1:16 Panther though.

40 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

I'm currently debating a 5", 6" or 8" "go-to" refractor, but if I do it won't be until next year sometime. First I think I'll be taking the plunge on a Trumpeter 1:16 Panther though.

This is a familiar problem - too many hobbies!

:D

Richard