Why you build what you build?

mozart

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

I'm wondering how you differentiate 'research' from 'looking at lots of pictures'

Sounds like research to me!

:D

Richard

I like to look at pictures :unsure: I find it inspirational,  which will usually lead to reading in depth and finding a deeper interest...I have a pretty big library of books and videos, we're talking about military history and aircraft right...

Edited by Peter Browne

27 minutes ago, Mark Jackson said:

Right then, let me start with Playboy - oodles of research material in the August 2018 issue.

How has your copy become so sticky?

A lot of stars went through a phase of having nude publicity shots sent out to Playboy and Playgirl.  I was traumatised seeing Burt Reynolds in the centre pages, I was eating chips (fries) out of it at the time.  It wasn't until I realised that I couldn't pick this lone chip up - I tried several times.

On 4/26/2020 at 2:11 AM, Mark Jackson said:

I used to build models in the 1970's, mainly WWII stuff as my dad flew with the RAF during it.  Then we both went up to Leicester Square to see a film called The Final Countdown with Kirk Douglas, James Farentino, Martin Sheen and Katherine Ross.  However the real star was the USS Nimitz and Carrier Air Wing 8.  Over 20 years later I travel round different model shows with the US Naval Aircraft SIG and even got to visit a few US carriers.  My biggest regret being the poor health of my dad who would have been awe struck standing on a flight deck or sitting in a fighter squadron's ready room.

Gull grey and white has accounted for 80% of my builds but I now have a 1/32 Tornado GR1 and F-104G Starfighter in the stash.

Pretty cool movie, but with two annoying events that don't fit the narrative at all. Other than that, I love the VF-84 Tomcats playing with the Zeros. I really like Charles Durning too, such a great actor.

7 hours ago, RLWP said:

I'm wondering how you differentiate 'research' from 'looking at lots of pictures'

Sounds like research to me!

:D

Richard

Not at all. To me, research implies finding out as much as possible regarding the specific details of a particular subject, whereas looking at photos just gives me a general idea/broad overview of areas such as the 'pit, which may or may not reveal accurate and consistent information of that particular subject. One thing is for certain, I could jam two Bf 109 'pits into an F-4J Phantom, and no one that would ever see them here, would know if it was accurate or not, so I tend not to sweat accuracy issues too much.

I’ve just had another reason to build what I’ll be building. 
My wife saying, and I quote verbatim...

”you’ve got to buy those and build them with these marking, they’re so pretty”

My stash has just grown by 2 Tamiya vipers. One to be painted in Alaskan Arctic Aggressor markings. 
The other, the HAF demonstration teams bird, “Zeus” 

What’s a guy to do, I vowed to “love, honour, and obey”. So I went out and purchased what she wants. My wife is awesome. 

20 minutes ago, Stokey Pete said:

The other, the HAF demonstration teams bird, “Zeus”

Noice. Using the Model Maker masks?

http://www.modelmaker.com.pl/MD32120-GREEK-F-16C-block-52-ZEUS-DEMO-TEAM-2014-decal-masks/1285/?i=en

Just found a very nice build of that aircraft using the masks at:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235063991-132-tamiya-f-16-zeus /&tab=comments#comment-3507656

39 minutes ago, Peter Browne said:

That’s the one, and yes, I’m attempting the model maker masking set. Apprehensive would be putting it mildly but I’ll give it a whirl. 

My dad was a flight engineer and rescueman on the Sea Kings where I grew up (Northern Norway), he build models and we'd build together. I worked at an aviation museum for a short spell at the end of my schooling, and started building again then. I moved to the USA and got my pilots license and started teaching flying helicopters, and now 22 years later I'm building what strikes my fancy, but its limited to (mostly) USAF, USN, RCAF, RAF, RNoAF and such, I find I lose interest in one, and jump to the next so there is plenty on the Shelf Of Doom...

The last biplanes I built was a 72nd Stringbag and a camel, and that was in my early teens... Mostly now it is WW2 to modern that strikes the fancy.

Edited by Winnie

• 2 weeks later...

Why aircraft?

I love everything that flies and has wings. I love the sky and I have to be carefull not running against a light pole gazing at the clouds every once in a while.

I always say, the sky is one of gods most beautiful canvases. It sounds childish but I would wish once I die and god has mercy and accepts me in his kingdome he would give me wings and the ability to fly. It's an amazing concept.

Why modelling?

Quite frankly and soberingly because very often it is - along photographs - the only thing that remains as a memory long after the original has gone the way of all things earthly. Models are like threedimensional images for me to ponder and reminisce about the sadly all too often long gone original.

Why do I model what I do the way I do it or better what do I model at the moment?

Currently I concentrate on everything I have some sort of special relation to or fond memory of. I like building things like the first or last of a certain type I saw, touched, I once sat in, I finally could see life for the first time or could say goodbye too. I currently build the first live F-14D I ever saw, I hope to get around building a 1/32 rendition of The Ghost Tiger Typhoon and me because it was my design, I hope I can build the Persian Tomcat I was able to feel and touch and get myself photographed with two years ago, simply because as things are sadly at the moement it will most likely be the last ever Tomcat I will have been able to touch and feel. I like recreating moments. To me models are like 3D-photographs that you can look upon every once in a while you pass by the case and reminisce about the good ol' times or that one initimate moment or that you can tell others about when they visit and pass by and just in case they show interest. To me, my models are usually connected to a heartfelt moment.

Edited by bushande

Thank you "bushande", I can identify and empathise with so much of what you have so eloquently written. I too often stand just gazing into the sky, watching the clouds: how they form, move, the effect of light on them in their constantly changing shapes and colours.  I'm lucky in that where I live there are no street lights at all, so absolutely NO light pollution - on a clear night I'll often go out and look in awe at the sky overhead and wonder about our place on this insignificant little planet.  Kind of puts all our current problems into perspective.