Copper State 1/32 Nieuport XVII

Whitey

Off and running on a WWI beauty - a lovely little "Bebe" from Copper State.

Got a fair bit accomplished in the cockpit and with the engine today.

Lots of wood grain painting - my usual way with Tamiya Acrylics and clear yellow and orange.

Undercoat with Dark Yellow, streak with various shades of brown and then coat with clear colour - yellow for lighter wood and orange for darker wood.

Using a darker undercoat also provides different wood colours.

IMG_1063-X2.jpg 

IMG_1065-X2.jpg

I have replaced the carburettor intakes with aluminium tube so have cut off the plastic bits, drilled through the housing and inserted brass rod and will add the tubes once the fuselage is all put together and painted.  Medium blue colours for metal parts as per instructions.

IMG_1066-X2.jpg

You can see the difference that the clear orange makes, compared to the clear yellow lighter parts.

Still lots to do but it fits nicely so far and with an Italian Red, White and Green colouring to the undersides of the wing and silver overall, she should look nicely different to the usual WWI camouflaged aircraft.

Fiddly cockpit almost completed. Goes together really nicely but lots of little bits to trim, paint and add to the frames, whilst keeping it all aligned.

IMG_1067-X2.jpg

Rigged with easy line. All painting so far is Tamiya acrylics covered with either Clear Orange for the darker wood or Clear Yellow for the lighter wood.

Cockpit%201-X3.jpg

It fits into the fuselage but that will be all on the cockpit until I fettle away at the rear fuselage and side panels to ensure everything fits and is aligned.

A strange week of working from home and busier than usual. Should settle down a bit after this weekend.

Spent most of today, Saturday, getting the Nieuport assembled.  Lots of scraping and chiselling to get the side panels fitted and aligned so that the top cover and the cowl all line up.

IMG_1069-XL.jpg

I am undecided as to what paint to use for the fabric covered parts - should be Silver Dope but might settle for Dull Aluminium. I've painted the wooden side panels black to give it a bit of a different texture to the fabric surfaces and will use an Aluminium metallic paint for the top cockpit cover and the cowl. 

IMG_1070-X2.jpg

She should be a colourful little jigger when finished.

IMG_1071-X3.jpg

Any suggestions for silver dope will be most welcome.

Thanks Mike, but I don't want it to look like metal because it is fabric. But it is one my options. Just starting to think about mixing something or playing with the surface to make it not so smooth.

2 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Alclad Dull Aluminum. It dries kinda grainy but I hit lightly with an apbrasive sponge and it looks like metal.

Grainy sounds just right for the doped panels, and a bit of a polish for the alloy ones perhaps

Richard

14 hours ago, RLWP said:

Grainy sounds just right for the doped panels, and a bit of a polish for the alloy ones perhaps

Richard

I'll give it a go on a paint mule. Thanks.

Alclad Dull Aluminium seems to ok.It is very grainy but smooths out well with a quick rub with 3600 micro mesh.

Cowl and Gun cover are Alclad Aluminium. 

This is the sort of contrasts I was after. I will give the wooden side panels a gloss or semi gloss coat and the rest matt when ready.

Thanks for the hint Mike.

IMG_1072-X2.jpg

The French Roundels go onto the top wing, but then get painted over with silver again. Hopefully they will just show through.

Going to try Alclad's Aqua Gloss next. Fingers crossed.