Ki-45 Kai Hei Toryu: Completed

Uncarina

The fuselage is closed at last. The fit was really good for the sides and dorsal panel, but I had to make some adjustments for the ventral panel. Once this was done the only filler was a little bit of Perfect Plastic Putty in a few spots. Note that the nose is just dry-fitted--it fits very well. On to the wings next!

Cheers,  Tom

H7MCkzf.jpg

D0b6Kwp.jpg

IcV9fc4.jpg

FSsabYJ.jpg

33 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

Nice update, really looking good and your work on the cockpit areas has definitely paid off.

Interesting to see how the wing fit is on your next updates. 

Merry Christmas to you Tom.

Regards. Andy 

Andy,

Thank you! I am really pleased with how its turning out so far. Happy Holidays to you as well!

Tom

4 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Very beautiful work!  Interesting to see how different Z-M kits go together versus the other manufacturers.

John,

Thanks! I love their approach: engineer the kit as if it’s an actual aircraft. Panels are attached along panel lines, linkages connect the cockpit to flight control surfaces, etc. Plus the instructions are unlike those of any other manufacturer. 

Cheers,  Tom

I've assembled the basic airframe, aside from the engine nacelles. The fit overall is stellar--the tail and horizonal stabilizers fell into place; I bent the tabs for the elevators so they would be slightly lowered. The wing fit was equally good--but not at first. The instructions have you attach in this sequence:

1. The lower wing halves B-2 and B-3.

2. The upper wing halves B-1 and B-4 are attached to the upper wing fillets, A-10 and A-5, respectively.

3. The upper wings are then attached to the fuselage.

4) The lower wing fillets A-8 and A-11 are inserted.

The lower wing fit went well. However, when I attached B-1 to A-10, then attempted to attach this to the fuselage, I was left with a gap between parts B-1 and A-10 at the front edge (I used Tamiya cement, so the glue hadn't set), and the upper and lower wing halves would not line up. Meanwhile the fillet to fuselage fit was tight but good. Based on this I attached the port wing fillet A-5 directly to the fuselage, then attached the port wing half B-4. This had the same result.

What ended up working is something I've never had to do when at this point in the build. I attached the upper wing halves to their respective fillets, but then attached the assemblies to the lower wing starting at the wingtips and working inwards. This actually forced everything in position. And finally the lower wing fillets attached with a satisfying click. After all this I didn't need filler. Next up is assembling the landing gear and engine nacelles. Thanks for following along!

Happy Holidays,  Tom

9B3p1Ya.jpg

fHYjMAi.jpg

AjfhGl3.jpg

Edited by Uncarina