Ki-45 Kai Hei Toryu: Completed

Uncarina

2 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Happy New Year to you Tom and looks like you've been pretty busy over the holiday season!! All looking very nice and looking forward to the colour going down.

Regards. Andy 

Andy, thanks! I hope your holidays were enjoyable. I managed to squeeze in a bit of bench time here and there,  and am looking forward to orchestrating the painting sequence.

1 hour ago, rigor said:

Ok bring on the camo :popcorn:

Ok then! Thanks for checking in.

48 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Very cool! Love it Tom! Now I we can figure out the kill Mark's it will be tops

Brian, thanks so much for your help!

14 minutes ago, Troy Molitor said:

Wow.  That looks so nice.  I need to pick one of these up soon.   

Troy, thank you! I hope to do the build justice. It would be great to see you work your magic on this kit.

Cheers,  Tom

Something I forgot to mention, in case you don't do this already: the tail wheel strut comes in two halves, sandwiching the wheel. This means that the wheel must be trapped to remove the seam, making masking more complicated. I removed the axle completely, drilled holes where the axle fits, and retrofitted the wheel after joining the halves and painting the assembly:

LgRuAx1.jpg

Cheers,  Tom

OK, I'm finally making headway on the combination of size (how small the cutter is capable of cutting) and spacing so all 8 kill marks come out and end up where they should. I should have the final sizing done tonight. I just need to dig my fuselage out and tape it to the nose cone to make sure it all lines up. Ill include some individual ones too in case the spacing or angle is not to your liking.

Looking awesome!  I am really looking forward to mine progressing through to this stage. I've gotten a lot done actually for the little bit I've posted, but I'm following your lead! 

2 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Great work Tom!  I love the metal finish... it looks like a real aircraft waiting for paint at the factory!

John,

Thanks! Tamiya AS-12 works great as a primer, with good "bite", highlights flaws, and makes a convincing exposed chipped metal. I went through two bottles painting the sprues!

Cheers, Tom

Cool! As mentioned, if you change you mind, and want to change the spacing or angle of the B-29s, just use the individual ones instead of the pre-spaced ones and should be GTG.  Ill try to cut the final cut as soon as I can, and get them in the post. Cant wait to see the camo on! 

Thanks Gaz! I spent this afternoon balancing two airbrushes to add the camouflage paint--I used reference photos as a guide, and it was pretty fun once I got the hang of it. Brians masks arrived today, so I plan to put them to good use. Earlier this week I bought a Silhouette Portrait 2 with the Designer software, now I am off on another learning curve to start making my own masks!

Cheers,  Tom

ZGiDt8t.jpg

J2Mut8k.jpg

1gdIZya.jpg

2 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

Looking fantastic, good luck with the mask cutter, something I'm thinking of getting later in the year. 

Thanks, and I have Brian and this forum to thank for pursuading me to make the purchase.

Cheers,  Tom

2 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Holy smokes that looks fantastic.   

Troy, you are very kind! I used some $20 airbrushes, much cheaper than my Aztek that was my old standby. I’m looking forward to finishing this up!

Cheers,  Tom