Ki-45 Kai Hei Toryu: Completed

Uncarina

2 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Excellent! I'm still lagging hard core on mine. This is getting me excited again to get back to the bench!

Brian,

Thanks! I am looking forward to seeing your magic, but whenever the time is right for you.

Happy Holidays,  Tom

8 hours ago, Phartycr0c said:

How did I miss this? This is a great build. I bought this kit on a whim at Telford and haven't yet finished thumbing through the reams of plastic..... 

Keep up the great work..

Thank you, I appreciate your support! It is a massive kit in terms of the number of sprues—I am always reshuffling them. Fortunately parts in a given build sequence are mainly on one or two sprues.

Cheers,  Tom

8 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Great progress and you nicely solved what seemed to be a difficult fit problem!

Alain

Alain, thanks for the encouragement! It seems like assembling a Swiss watch at times, but so satisfying when it finally comes together.

I appreciate your checking in.

Cheers,  Tom

Happy Holidays Everyone. I have finished up the major assembly, now getting ready for paint. The build was pretty smooth overall, but my biggest challenge was fitting the engine and nacelles to the wings. Naturally I deviated from the instructions when I probably shouldn't have:

1) I fitted each firewall to the wing/landing gear bays. Four struts need to be mated, and the upper two slot into holes which are buried from view, so this was tricky; I wiggled them into place. The lower two struts were much easier, and actually attach to the upper part of the landing gear.

2) I thought I was being smart by completely assembling the nacelles separately to ensure the best fit. Turns out this meant that three cooler vents on the inside of the top nacelle panel would not clear the engine; these had to be removed. Not a big deal since they cannot be seen, but I know they're not there!

3) I dry-fitted the engines to the firewall, then the nacelles over these. This meant the engines protruded to far forward, and the nacelles would not fully meet the cowl flaps and wing/landing gear bays. I finally cut back the centers of the firewalls (E-1 and E-16), and this solved the issue.

I am excited to start on the camouflage!

Cheers,  Tom

vqoEinH.jpg

8ljBOlI.jpg

RNw9uHi.jpg

cUlx6Ht.jpg