Canada's Most Decorated Soldier: William Barker and His Camel

Uncarina

Did you see a model kit that inspired your interest in building models? For me, the one that started it all was when I first saw the Revell 1/28 silver-cowled Sopwith Camel in the markings of William Barker. I built that kit, but never in those markings, so when Wingnut Wings released the Clerget Camel, I knew that I had to build it as his aircraft. I first completed his Snipe: (https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/67610-canadas-most-decorated-soldier-william-barker-and-his-snipe/&tab=comments#comment-902460)

I present here my build of his Camel, in its final configuration. This was a hot-rod, with extra modifications not present in the WNW kit:

--cooling slots added to the front cowl

--intake funnels scratchbuilt and added to the carburator intakes

--expanded opening to wing center section (part E4) with hoop wire added

--removed left side of the forward cockpit decking

--scratchbuilt the windshield

I also used the BarracudaCast wicker seat, articulated the control surfaces, and painted the stripes on the rear fuselage. I painted the wood surfaces with DecoArt burnt umber and burnt sienna acrylic oil paints over a Tamiya XF-78 base coat. I also used Vallejo Metal paint, custom mixed Tamiya paints, and EZ line. For reference I extensively used Mike (Sandbagger) Norris’s build guide (http://igavh2.xara.hosting/index_htm_files/Camel-Barker.pdf). I’m glad I finally did it!

Cheers, Tom

ZVymHcQ.jpg

ZtuXmYk.jpg

LwsCBOq.jpg

h6YxUDK.jpg

hhaWQm6.jpg

mr4KzNq.jpg

Edited by Uncarina

44 minutes ago, ringleheim said:

Looks gorgeous! 

What technique did you use for the propeller?  I mean the light/dark/light striations.  Is that paint or colored pencil or ?

Thank you! I used Tamiya deck tan and red brown after masking with thin tape, followed by acrylic oils, and finished with Tamiya clear orange.

Cheers,  Tom

Absolutely superb! You've captured the look of the Camel convincingly, and the paint finish really imitates fabric and wood beautifully. Loved looking at it...over and over again. :)

A great tribute to a Canadian hero! Thanks for sharing that!

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

17 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Thank you! I used Tamiya deck tan and red brown after masking with thin tape, followed by acrylic oils, and finished with Tamiya clear orange.

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks.  

I always use colored pencils but have trouble getting "tight" straight lines for the wood layers.  I noticed you have nice, tight, straight layers or "stripes" on your blades so I may well try it your way next time.