Opinion wanted Tamiya P-51D vs. F4U-1A

Winnie

So I have both in the stash, and as I am moving closer towards the finish line with my Revell P-51D (NEVER AGAIN!) I want some opinions on which one to start next.... ANd I have both in the stash so no worries there.

I have looked through both, and the P-51 D looks to me to be more "gimmicky" with movable flaps and flight controls and pose-able wheels as well as the on or off engine cowlings. I also have a slew of Barracuda Cast for the P-51D, whilst the only aftermarket for the F4U is Radub's seatbelts.

Anyway, I have looked at several F4U builds lately but not that many P-51 builds show up. so, if you have looked at both, or better have both, or even better again, have BUILT both, what is YOUR opinion?

Cheers

Harald

I have built several of both and love both kits, probably 2 of the best kits out there. Can't go wrong with either IMO. However the mustang is slightly easier to do just because of the corsairs wingfold set up and even that isn't bad. I would flip a coin on the build and go with it. 

Edited by The Dude

I love both kits and they are different experiences.  The Corsair has more actuators and bits that are visible relative to the various flaps and control surfaces, also the way the landing gear works it all has to be built one way or the other, thus reflecting the kit’s engineering.  

The Mustang lends itself to the working control surfaces more so than the corsair does.  These are not that difficult to work with and build, I have worked with them on multiple kits and they allow you to snap in the control surfaces after construction is finished for the most part if you choose.  I really like the magnetic cowling feature, the top and sides fit perfectly and remove nicely.  The bottom is too flimsy to safely remove really once it is installed.  I have found a dab of lithium grease though on the pins makes it viable to remove that piece if desired.

Canopy remains workable on the Mustang which I love as you can display open or closed.  

Biggest criticism I think most people have of the Mustang is the riveting on the wings.  On my last build I spent hours filling and sanding.  I have a different method in mind next time I build one as I now have Gunze liquid filler which might do the job better.  I love these kits, I will be building more of each in the future.  Probably will do another Mustang though next as I did a F4U-1D this year.  

The Machine gun bays are a lot of work, I like them though have had satisfactory results with those on both of my builds.  All in all I love the Tamiya Mustang.  I think I like it slightly better than the Corsair in the end.  Mustang also has a lot more personal marking options which to me marginally pips the mustang as my preference of the two.

I am a big fan of removable cowlings on Model airplanes with engines as it permits display of the engine without it being a permanent state.  I don’t like building the plane opened up on a permanent basis.  

OK that allays some of my fears with the P-51 kit. So perhaps I'll chose that one to do next, as it has sat the longest of the 2 in the stash. I love the F4U as well, but may need to gather more aftermarket for it. As long as the Tamiya kit models better than the Revell kit we will be off to a winner... lol

Cheers and thanks all!

I have never built the revell kit, however if you are careful with the Tamiya kit and follow the instructions it is amazing.  Personally I would not build the Revell kit, not because I think there is anything particularly wrong with it, the Tamiya kit is just that nice.  The only issue I had with the Tamiya kit was on the second build, I used the Baracuda Cockpit sidewalls and the floor has to be trimmed for them to fit.  I must not have trimmed quite enough because my fit was a tad off when I closed up the fusilage.  So do lots of test fitting if you add any AM.

I've built the P-51D twice and the Corsair once.  The Corsair is most certainly more difficult and you must follow the instructions to a tee or you can easily build in major fit issues with the engine, cowl and outer wings.

I honestly fell AM for either kit outside of seat belts is sort of a waste of money. Neither kit really needs it.

Ron

Also, for the mustang make sure you drill the two holes in each cylinder head before gluing the halves together.  The hid that little step pretty well in the instructions and its near impossible to mount the exhaust in the correct location with no holes.

Well I'm off to SMW tomorrow with some money burning a hole in my pocket, so this thread is both timely and informative in helping me decide on a purchase. 

Although as for not needing aftermarket beyond seat belts for the Corsair, for me a set of RN Fleet Air Arm decals would be pretty much a must.  :)

Thanks all.

5 hours ago, Iain said:

Fündekals do a lovely set of FAA decals Mike - I have a set here and will put together a review:

http://www.fundekals.com/corsair_RN.html

Iain

As does Eagle Editions/Jerry Crandall!

ec152-cover.gif

Fundekals has some of the best background info on their website on their F4u decals, though. I guess it mostly comes down to whether you find a good deal on a birdcage, or -1A. At least either way you are covered!

Thanks chaps, both look good, as do this set

EAG32163.jpg?t=

So it seems I'm OK for any RN Corsair variant.  But then again, whilst I have a "standard" P-51D, there's the Pacific boxing with the F-6D parts and a nice Kitsworld decal sheet calling me.

KW32108.jpg?t=

Decisions, decisions ...  :hmmm: