!/48 Scale ICM Dormier Do-217N1 w/AIMS conversion

Gazzas

Gaz, this is lovely inspiring work. I think the exercise in weathering is superb and i will certainly plagurising some of your methods. 

I think your right in relation to reference photos for colour call outs, When an aircraft is preserved I think there is an elemnt of "best guess" as to what colours were employed or were appropriate during the war, 

Example, when I was researching the colour for the upkeep mine on my DB build,  there were records of them being green, black steel and even primer . I think this comes from a mix of their actual colour and the colours they were painted in preservation as a best guess. I went with dark green for the pure reason that the green contrasts with the acres of black on the aircraft underside. 

keep up the great work. 

Thank you for the kind comments and likes, everyone!

Today I'll be matte coating the model prior to adding all of it's pointy bits.  Guns, aerials, antenna, and pitot tube all are waiting to be done.

dsKeRC.jpg

I got Master Barrels MG 17 barrels to replace the kit parts.  I had to drill the holes to accept the length of the guns.  They'll be in a more staggered arrangement once finished.

yOcOet.jpg

Inexplicably the MG 151 barrels are not included, only the flash suppressors.  Interestingly, the AIMS conversion kit only supplies the suppressors, too.  I'm not happy with my efforts, and hope to get them truly straight when I try to fit them to the plane.  After looking at the Master Barrels catalogue I sent them a note asking if they were going to model them because my result is very fragile though I've mated the parts with copper wire and CA.

GjW4iV.jpg

sz0IHd.jpg

I used my Silhouette Portrait to make the masks of the NJG shield.  All of the paints are Tamiya and I cut the base from a piece of finished, knotless pine.

hB0kaC.jpg

I've always heard that the base shouldn't frame the model.  So, the model sits at an angle over the shield.  I haven't bolted the mainwheels to the base, yet.

ThIrpV.jpg

Thank you for looking!

Gaz

I was just checking in to see those Gaspatch FuG 202 installations!  LOL.  Gaz, this is one of my favorite 2019 builds.  Certainly in 1:48!

Shhhhhhhhhh! I’m also going to be spot checking in on those four blade props to see if there is proper wear to the backside!

You're killing it . Love this build.

kind regards from the 40th floor of my apartment balcony on a rainy, humid, not to hot evening in Singapore.  

Thanks for sharing this build with us Gaz!

Troy. ,

Looking good there, remember that the lower dipole fairings are different on the N-2 as I show in the instructions. Also I did not include the barrels as you have them in the kit plus not possible for me to cast them in resin nor strong enough - hence not included

Edited by Pastor John

8 hours ago, Pastor John said:

Looking good there, remember that the lower dipole fairings are different on the N-2 as I show in the instructions. Also I did not include the barrels as you have them in the kit plus not possible for me to cast them in resin nor strong enough - hence not included

Thank you, John.  And thank you for including all of the information above.  If I get another N, or if ICM produces the J, I'll be using your decals.   About the kit gun barrels.  There aren't any.  As molded, the kit flash suppressors are made to glue straight into the fuselage.  The upper pair have a flat surface, while the lower pair have a half-ovoid male face which mates with a half-ovoid female receiver which I had to drill out to accept tubing.