red Dog

Spitfire MkIX 1/24 349 sqn

thanks Mike,

I have that picture but it doesn't give any further indication. As you can see it's well past the war, probably circa 1946 when 349 and 350th were fully under Belgian command. (They stayed Under RAF command till 1946) It's very obvious from the belgian roundels. They both remained in Germany till late 1946 (Fasberg) and then came back to Belgium to Beauvechain air base (which is still operationnal today)

In 1945, these aircraft all had the RAF roundels and fin flashes - and some were Mk IX and not (yet) Mk XVI.
The 349 traded Mk IX for MK XVI in May 1945 and 350th traded their Mk XIV for MkXVI in November 1945.

The first aircraft GE-C is definitely 349th with a blue spinner and the rest are 350th sqn with red spinners.
SG17 was never a serial of 349th, but definitely one of the 350th.

349th code was GL and 350th code was MN.

I think that GE-L profile might be wrong ,

349 had a blue spinner in these days and 350th had red spinners. That was official but hard to see the difference on the original b&w picture. Although it is clearly noticed in the picture above.
So IMHO GE-L should be a blue spinner in that profile.

TB991 is Indeed the famous Liège, which is a city in Belgium and came from the code letter LG E on one side of the aircraft

It's a Mk XVI operational from 24 May 1945 to 20 Octobre 1946 by 349th sqn.

The GE-L I am building is PT723 operational from 31 August 1944 to 22 February 1945 in wartime with RAF roundels

Spit_mkIX_24_001.png

It's not the same aircraft :)

Between the two, there was another GE-L from 30 April 1945 to 24 May 1945: TB581 which was also a MkXVI

nope, not yet.

I would say it should be black, but looking at that very picture above. It doesn't look black enough to me

So there's a slight chance it might have been blue

:)

I'm still making research but to this day came up dry

Spit_mkIX_24_070.png

What are you using as a riveting reference?  I'm riveting a XIVc.  Nothing I have looks so well defined.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

19 hours ago, red Dog said:

nope, not yet.

I would say it should be black, but looking at that very picture above. It doesn't look black enough to me

So there's a slight chance it might have been blue

:)

I'm still making research but to this day came up dry

Standard spinner color by the time the MkIX went operational was Sky.

The picture looks blue or red to me.  :shrug:  Have fun.