Jump to content
Gisbod

1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat

Recommended Posts

Just looked again and the artwork of ‘7FI’ has the front canopy/windscreen side brace which the -5s didn’t have as Jim pointed out Does that definitively make it a -3? 

 

Is is that what you meant Brian?

 

Confused Guy on the beach

 

 

Edited by Gisbod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Just looked again and the artwork of ‘7FI’ has the front canopy/windscreen side brace which the -5s didn’t have as Jim pointed out Does that definitively make it a -3? 

 

Is is that what you meant Brian?

 

 

Yes, exactly Guy. The picture also seems to show the -3 upper windscreen brace as well. I think really the only thing -3 wise "missing" from 7Fi is the exhaust fairing ahead of the exhaust output.    From looking at it, it appears everything else is -3 like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

 

 

Yes, exactly Guy. The picture also seems to show the -3 upper windscreen brace as well. I think really the only thing -3 wise "missing" from 7Fi is the exhaust fairing ahead of the exhaust output.    From looking at it, it appears everything else is -3 like. 

The F6F-3 had 3 different cowl configurations.  The earliest had the lower cowl flap and exhaust bulge.  The middle one had the bulge but no lower cowl flap.  The last was essentially the same as the -5, no lower cowl flap and no bulge.  The windscreen is definitive; the -3 day fighters had a 4-piece windscreen with curved front panel, 2 side panels and a top panel, and internal armored glass.  The -5 (and -3N) had a 3-piece windscreen with flat armored glass front panel and 2 side panels that met at the top.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everybody,

I am very interested in this topic as I have just bought mine and would like to build in a 3 tones scheme.

I found on Osprey Aircraft of Aces 125 page 61 a colour profile of a F6F-5 buno unknown of VF-2  USS Hornet with the rear window, non bulge on cowl and the lower cowl flap

It is interesting if confirmed. Really don't know if it is possible to post a picture due to copyright laws

In the meanwhile i am thinking madly to vacuform a new windscreen

Hope it will be helpful

Edited by Folgore_1963

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would probably need more definative proof than 1 profile. I'm no F6F SME, but from the bit of research I've done and seen, including statements made by those more in the know like Jennings, the DSB started with the -5s. Believe me, I want to do a tri-color Hellcat in 24th too.

I would be apt to want to find out the exact BU number of that ship to see where in the -5 production it appeared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the first F6F-5 was tri-color. There is a photo of this plane in the Squadron Walk Around. At one point it also sported a blown (Malcolm type) canopy, which you can see in the photo in the book.  

 

The blown hood was engineered by Grumman, but only a handful of these were produced.  Most of these were assigned to No 800 Sqn, Fleet Air Arm.

 

Rich

Edited by ltdann

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My father flew Hellcats off the U.S.S Randolph with VF 16 at the end of the war, so I am a bit of a Hellcat nut. I do know that the exhaust bulge on the cowling, along with the lower exhaust flap were deleted somewhere in early to mid -3 production, and that the very early F6F-5's had the windows behind the canopy. There is a picture of David McCampbell's MINSI II that is an early -5 and it is glossy sea blue overall with the aft windows, it is my understanding these were deleted on the -5 early in production. The only visible difference between a late -3 and early -5 is the windscreen. I have also read that -5's left the factory with rocket stubs installed and metal blast deflector plates over the flaps behind the stubs, -3's did not. Also as a side note regarding arming your Hellcat, dad said he flew with rockets OR bombs on a strike, never both

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've looked into this, and I'm ready to go out on a limb and say that NO (zero, zilch, zip, nada, empty set) F6F-5 ever wore the four-tone blue/white camo.  The first F6F-5s left Grumman Bethpage at exactly the same time the Navy ordered GSB overall camouflage.  I've never seen an actual photograph of what you could state unequivocally was an F6F-5 based on the windscreen configuration in anything but GSB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, justplanecrazy said:

My father flew Hellcats off the U.S.S Randolph with VF 16 at the end of the war, so I am a bit of a Hellcat nut. I do know that the exhaust bulge on the cowling, along with the lower exhaust flap were deleted somewhere in early to mid -3 production, and that the very early F6F-5's had the windows behind the canopy. There is a picture of David McCampbell's MINSI II that is an early -5 and it is glossy sea blue overall with the aft windows, it is my understanding these were deleted on the -5 early in production. The only visible difference between a late -3 and early -5 is the windscreen. I have also read that -5's left the factory with rocket stubs installed and metal blast deflector plates over the flaps behind the stubs, -3's did not. Also as a side note regarding arming your Hellcat, dad said he flew with rockets OR bombs on a strike, never both

 

AFAIK the entire first production batch of F6F-5s (in the 58xxx BuNo range), which is 1000 aircraft, had the rear quarter windows fitted.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So this is supposed to be the number 1 F6F-5.  I obtained this photo from the Grumman archives. The other photo is a 800 Sqn F6F-5 with the blown hood. 

 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235041054-difference-between-a-late-f6f-3-and-f6f-5-cowling/

 

https://imgur.com/7HLepqp

 

Rich

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...