P-47 kit bash

Joe Hegedus

Has anyone tried grafting the canopy and spine of the Trumpeter Razorback on a Hasegawa bubbletop P-47?  Just wondering if this might be a less frustrating process than building the Trumpeter kit (I've done a couple and can't really say that they are a pleasant kit to build; the Hasegawa is a much less troublesome kit overall).

Why?  Because the Trumpeter P-47s are a nightmare to build IMO.  At least the fuselage, with all that internal gobeldygook that will never be seen but still mostly needs to be fitted in order to hold other things in place, and the pathetic lack of any positive means to fit the engine.  

Having built both Trumpeter and Hasegawa bubbletops (fitting a spare Hasegawa canopy on the Trumpter kit to take care of that mess), I like the overall look of the Hasegawa kit better.  

14 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

I seem to remember someone either proposing to use the spine/canopy from the old Revell kit, or actually starting a build... I guess it's another option before the Tamiya release. :coolio:

I plan to go with this arrangement using the Vac. Squadron Canopy and resin cockpit. If it isn't a disaster, likely make more than one.

I planned to making the same exact conversion but using the much more affordable and easily found Revell spine.  Definitely possible, the only issue is the windscreen and canopy, which IIRC, I was planning on using the squadron vac copy.

14 hours ago, nmayhew said:

But why?

I understand the issues with the canopy on the Trumpy bubble top, but I thought the razorback was fine?

Ive done a lot of research into this very subject after I purchased a Trumpeter razorback. I sold it the VERY next week after I examined it closely. The cowl opening had a super strange "horse collar" shape to it, and the area behind the cowl and in front of the windscreen looked way wrong to me, so I sold it.   Personally, I hated it and the mish-mosh of gobbldy-gook inside didnt help that feeling, but exacerbated it. I even compared it to the Has kit which may or may not be accurate but to my eye looked much more accurate in shape, and the Trumpy cowl just looked way WAY wrong to me, so I immediately sold it.

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Rick Griewski said:

Hmmm… posting from 2019.  I wonder if the man got what he wanted.  I will check to see if I have any ole Revell parts laying around.  Man that Revell kit is almost Dinosaur history time ago.  LOL

I just bit the bullet, and built the Trumpy Razorback.  It turned out OK.

Comparing the Trumpy cowling to the Hasegawa cowling shows a pretty huge difference.  Not sure who got it right, but they are NOT interchangeable.  The Trumpy is much deeper.  What I have read that is the major problem with the Trumpy is the wing to fuselage fillet is wrong.  Trumpy depicts this as a very small radius and it should be a larger radius.  

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=3154

Did you weather your Razorback Joe?

Trump 1/32 P-47D Razor is actually a very/very good build. I was cautious but pleasantly surprised as it progressed.  I built it without all the guts...which is completely not needed, nor can it be seen when finished.....a classic case of over-engineering.  

Cheers

Collin

1 hour ago, Collin said:

Did you weather your Razorback Joe?

Trump 1/32 P-47D Razor is actually a very/very good build. I was cautious but pleasantly surprised as it progressed.  I built it without all the guts...which is completely not needed, nor can it be seen when finished.....a classic case of over-engineering.  

Cheers

Collin

What do you think, Collin?  :-)

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10206578293612736&set=a.10205369466392811