Hasegawa Mitsubishi Raiden

dennismcc

9 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Wow. That looks amazing Dennis.   Looking forward to some green my friend.    

Thank you Troy all encouragement is appreciated, I'll hopefully be sorting out the yellow today and masking off the under wing Hinomaru's  and then I can start on the paint.

7 hours ago, mpk said:

This is shaping up nicely. I have 2 in my stash, J2M3 and J2M2.

Looking forward to seeing you complete this. :)

Thank you, this I'm certainly looking forward to getting this one across the line and really starting in on the N1K2-J, I'm surprised how much I have got into this Japanese theme.

Cheers

Dennis

53 minutes ago, dennismcc said:

Thank you, this I'm certainly looking forward to getting this one across the line and really starting in on the N1K2-J, I'm surprised how much I have got into this Japanese theme.

Cheers

Dennis

I know, right? Japanese aviation is fascinating to me. I was a teen when I discovered the 1/48 scale Arrii (sp?) Frank. It was so beautifully designed. Tojo and Tony were soon followed by Zero. :clap2:

I owe my dear friend Harv, a George. I failed that model twice. I intend to complete a good one for Harv. :)

Well I am still at it, the yellow flash mask on the starboard side was removed and the yellow extended, it's a good job Mal sent extra masks for me, then it was time to apply the masks to the tail which I had already airbrushed white.

The mask was cut down to size and the position for it was marked on the tail with Tamiya tape, transfer tape was applied to the mask to hold it all together and the mask applied, this was the tricky bit that I was not looking forward to but it worked.

spacer.png

The transfer tape and the masks was removed to reveal this

spacer.png

The Tamiya tape on this side was used as a guide to mark out the other side of the fin/rudder

spacer.png

Then the flash mask was re applied to the fuselage side where the yellow had to be extended, to do this the mask was held together with Tamiya tape while I applied it.

spacer.png

With this all done I was now ready to start the paint job, my wife wanted to know how I was getting on so I showed her what I was doing, during which I noticed this.

spacer.png

Stupid boy, so the masking was removed and the white extended, once again it was a good job that Mal sent me spare masks.

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis,  Great progress! One of the many things I love about masks is the ability to make corrections, unlike with decals, where you mostly have to replace after a messy removal process. I’m looking forward to your paintwork!

Cheers,  Tom

1 hour ago, Uncarina said:

Dennis,  Great progress! One of the many things I love about masks is the ability to make corrections, unlike with decals, where you mostly have to replace after a messy removal process. I’m looking forward to your paintwork!

Cheers,  Tom

Thank you Tom, yes I can remember fishing out rolled up decals from the dish or ripping them when applying them, so as you say masking is a far friendlier system though it is a bit frustrating making silly mistakes like this, but that is modelling for you.

Cheers

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

At last with all masks in place satisfactorily I could apply the paint to the undersides, for this I used Sovereign Colourcoats ACJ016 and it airbrushed beautifully, I left it for a day then had a good look at it, I was a bit puzzled that the colour was not greener, then I looked at my build notes and noticed that I should have used ACJ012 Hairyokushoku, stupid boy, but it did give me a great undercoat. So I airbrushed the undersides again and it also airbrushed beautifully and looks perfect to me.

All ready to go.

spacer.png

And with the right paint

spacer.png

spacer.png

Not forgetting these bits

spacer.png

spacer.png

So back on the shelf with them and carry on with the next project, the N1K2

Cheers

Dennis

7 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Great work as always Dennis! What thinners work best with the paint?

Cheers,  Tom

Thank you Tom, I always use Xtracolor XDTT Quick dry thinners on all the paints that I use, I usually thin them 50:50 so the bottles though small last for years.

Cheers

Dennis

Gave the undersides a random going over with a lightened version of the base paint, mixed 50:50 with white just to break up the solid look of he paint job, this does not show up very well in the photo but does in real life. This meant that I could remove the masks on the Hinomaru's and I was pleasantly surprise that all looked well with only some slight break though.

O0vGCX.jpg

PBmkQj.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

6 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Looking good Dennis.  

6 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Looking real sharp.

Thank you very much guys, for some reason this one has got me really nervous about all the masking but if it works I will be very pleased, just need to leave it alone for a couple of days before masking off the undersides. While it's doing that I will be pottering away at the N1K2 which is fine but then I start getting the paints mixed up !

Cheers

Dennis

• 3 weeks later...

Time to get the main paint on, for this I used Sovereign Colourcoats ACJ03 D2 Green Black, so the undersides were masked off and a holder was fashioned for me to use while airbrushing, I like to hold the model when airbrushing and move it around to catch the light so a handle is essential for me.

spacer.png.

spacer.png

Out with the trusty airbrush and away we went.

spacer.png

spacer.png

With that done it was time to sort out the markings, the tail marking masks were carefully removed using a new blade and some tweezers to reveal this, phew, it worked.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The eagle eyed amongst you will have noticed the Hinomaru, I have been looking forward to sorting these out for a while, so out with my Ofla cutter and some arcs of Tamiya tape were cut to mask off the green paint, while covering the white surround mask.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then the full masking, and the central mask (for the red) was removed.

spacer.png

And the red airbrushed, again Sovereign Colourcoats.

spacer.png

And all the masking was removed, I do this straight away as I am an impatient person, and this was revealed, and gosh they are big.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'll let this fully dry now then I can paint the red on the fuselage stripes and remove the masking from the "Lightning bolts", not forgetting to paint the cowling.

Cheers

Dennis