Dragon BF 110 C-7

BloorwestSiR

On 2/10/2019 at 4:42 AM, Azgaron said:

Looks very nice! :)

Håkan

Thanks Håkan!

On 2/10/2019 at 4:18 PM, Shawn M said:

wow the markings really make your paint job pop!

Thanks Shawn! The only concern is how well they'll match the decals. 

Ok, it turns out I painted the props the wrong colour so I had to redo them in the correct one.  Once they were fixed, I did the front part in white as required. 

IMG_20190216_182628-L.jpg

I was having a hard time getting the tips masked so I ended up just dipping them in a puddle of white paint. 

Next up were the Quickboost exhausts. The kit ones have the ends moulded solid so AM exhausts seem to be a must for the kit. 

IMG_20190216_223213-L.jpg

Mine broke apart a bit while removing them from their pour blocks. I debated getting some of the new REXx ones but decided to use what I had. Fortunately they were easy enough to install that it wasn't a problem. 

IMG_20190217_093942-L.jpg

IMG_20190217_093955-L.jpg

I also installed the gear legs at the same time as you can probably tell from the pics. 

On 2/21/2019 at 3:06 PM, Fanes said:

I definitely agree on the exhausts. They are way better than the kit ones, but the removal from the pour block is quite delicate.

Can't wait to see the finished bird!

They were actually easier to remove from the pour blocks than I had anticipated. But the bit that holds them together is fragile. 

8 hours ago, Shawn M said:

good to know about the resin pipes, I have a set for my other kit

Even though they broke apart, they were easy enough to get in place after the fact. I didn't bother gluing them back together, just straight onto the model.

I finally got the nose guns installed. 

IMG_20190220_222505-L.jpg

With the upper nose cover in place. 

IMG_20190221_223411-L.jpg

At the same time, I finally applied the decals. 

IMG_20190221_223416-L.jpg

My first try at a pic with the wings dry fitted was photo bombed.

IMG_20190221_223724-L.jpg

So here's attempt number 2

IMG_20190221_223730-L.jpg

So I'm getting closer to the end. 

Carl

Although Dragon give you the nacelle instruments, I decided to use the Eduard ones. To improve their look a bit, I added a drop of UV gel to each.

IMG_20190223_200850-L.jpg

They were then glued into the nacelles.

IMG_20190223_201400-L.jpg

IMG_20190223_201434-L.jpg

Next up, I finally finished off the wings. I added the MLG doors, rad flaps and the props.

IMG_20190223_230827-L.jpg

Fur, our cat decided to drop by again so...

IMG_20190223_231546-L.jpg

IMG_20190223_231606-L.jpg

With those done, it was time to finally attach the wings permanently.

IMG_20190224_002441-L.jpg

IMG_20190224_002423-L.jpg

There's just some final details left to add now so I'm should be done in the next day or so. 

Carl

Loved following along on your build and can't wait to see the finished project. I keep waffling between entering a Ju88 or a Bf110 in this group build and this build is certainly nudging me towards the 110.

Cheers

Jeff

12 hours ago, Dukie99 said:

Carl, awesome result. The camo scheme is very attractive and wonderfully done. I am impressed by the fit of the wings and nacelles, excellent build. I have four 110 in the stash, I need to do one soon, yours is very inspirational.

Cheers,

David

Thanks David! The fit overall has been really good. There's very little filler on the build. Some along the fuselage seam and that's about it. The nacelles can be fiddly but they ultimately went together fine. I can still remove the upper covers as they're not glued on. I've got a couple more in the stash as well but will probably leave them for a bit. 

5 hours ago, themongoose said:

This was great lesson in building and painting in parallel. Enjoyed immensely.

Thanks! 

4 hours ago, wmoran said:

Looks great.  Seeing yours gives me some motivation to get back to work on my 110D-3.

Bill

Thanks Bill! Hopefully you do as it would be great to see more of them built. 

4 hours ago, JefH said:

Loved following along on your build and can't wait to see the finished project. I keep waffling between entering a Ju88 or a Bf110 in this group build and this build is certainly nudging me towards the 110.

Cheers

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! Funny you mention the Ju88 as that was my other choice as well. I may still do it as I've got the P1 conversion from AiMs. But my next project is already on the bench...