Airfix News Just in from Telford: 1/24 Hellcat!

LSP_Kevin

I don’t understand sorry... 

45159599804_ef91825068.jpg

45159599814_2282d04f2b.jpg

Looks interesting to me.

The kit is what it is... a mid /late -5.

Which was used by a number of operators in a number of schemes. 

Yep if you want USN WW2 its GSB with unit markings etc... So I’m sure you’ll get a VF-27 aircraft etc..

That choice of variant allows I think for a greater proportion of marking types than the -3 which (depending on which -3 variant you did) would be  predominantly FAA and USN.

I think the subject choice is great. 

On 11/13/2018 at 10:04 PM, Southern Bandit said:

I sincerely doubt you there my friend, these are high quality enthusiast kits Airfix knock out these days  in 1/24 and they are not cheap,  fair play if you still brush paint, but I can really assure the vast majority of the membership have left the hairy stick behind a long time ago ... we did a poll about it recently.

Recent Airfix 1/24 Aircraft kits like the Mosquito and Typhoon are seriously good kits and with no hesitation I would put this new Hellcat up there too.

And what fraction of the people who will buy and build this kit do you think that poll represents?

Most people who build kits are still casual builders who don't have an airbrush. That's why Airfix starter sets (and the equivalent by other companies) sell well. If the kit market were entirely populated by the enthusiasts who frequent sites like this, it would not be big enough for most of the current companies to survive.

Edited by VMA131Marine

6 minutes ago, spacewolf said:

So... surgery to the fuse behind the cockpit, a different instrument panel and filling and re-scribing some panels on the wings to get a -3 ?... seems like not too much work.... or am I missing more changes not mentioned ?

The windscreen is different too.

There are lots of small detail changes between a -3 and -5 in addition to the large ‘ticket’ items mentioned and that also included cowl changes.. Also -3’s seemingly varied as production mods rolled out. So what -3 do you go for??

Being in 1/24 all that small stuff ends up being quite large..

5 minutes ago, Plasto said:

There are lots of small detail changes between a -3 and -5 in addition to the large ‘ticket’ items mentioned and that also included cowl changes.. Also -3’s seemingly varied as production mods rolled out. So what -3 do you go for??

Being in 1/24 all that small stuff ends up being quite large..

I'm actually not a huge fan of the Hellcat. If this were a Wildcat I'd be all over it like a dirty shirt ! That being said though, LSP has always been a place for modelers who were willing to do whatever it takes to get what they want and being that so many want the -3, it seems to me with such a wonderful new kit so close to a -3, that the differences shouldn't be too drastic to fix.

2 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

Well, I'm certainly no expert on the matter, and I'm not really sure I want to try to convert one either.

As a scratch builder/ kit basher I can tell you that having the kit 90% provided is a huge blessing ! Also, often the changes/ mods are often a lot easier than they seem. A bit of careful work and elbow grease is often all that's needed.

16 hours ago, spacewolf said:

As a scratch builder/ kit basher I can tell you that having the kit 90% provided is a huge blessing ! Also, often the changes/ mods are often a lot easier than they seem. A bit of careful work and elbow grease is often all that's needed.

This is probably true, having the base kit, even if it's not a -3, is a whole lot better than having nothing at all. So, you'll be trying to convert one to a -3 then? If so, I'll certainly keep an eye out for that. Heck, I may even have to consider that myself. Here's the type of -3 look that I really like. The red surround really does it for me, and I'm quite certain you'll never see that on the more mundane -5 aircraft.

iFcReQ.jpg