1:32 Sopwith Camel of Barker

sandbagger

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,
I've moved on a bit and now have the fuselage closed up, primed and pre-shaded ready for the 'Aviattic' linen effect decals.
I've also got the two figures primed ready for painting - mechanic from Copper State Models, pilot from 'Blackdog Models',

Mike

preshade.jpg

basefigures.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi all,
It's been a few weeks since I posted for this build - been on vacation.
Anyway the two figures are completed now - Barker himself and his mechanic (who will be working on the engine cowl).
I'm currently cutting and applying the 'Aviattic' linen effect decals to the models (light PC12 and CDL) - a time consuming job as they are not cookie cut, so accurate paper templates need to be cut first then used to trace the outline onto the decals sheet.

Mike

barker.jpg

mech.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,
The model is progressing now.
The 'Aviattic' linen effect decals have had the kit decals added, plus decal black/white stripes.
After sealing it's all have a 'Flory' Dark Dirt wash and 'Tamiya' weathering master highlights.
The final weathering will be 'AK Interactive' oil/kerosene enamel for engine staining.
Then it's on to pre-rigging and assembly,

Mike

appliedwash.jpg

floryweathered.jpg

Hi all,
Just a few more showing weathering.
For those who are wondering what the four black things under the fuselage are and the 'ears' sticking out of the engine carburetor intake:
This aircraft was photographed with under fuselage attachment brackets for a 'Cooper' bomb rack' However no photographs I could find show the actual rack as being fitted. 
Sopwith Camels serving in the Italian theater had a field service mod carried out to fit 'funnels' to the carburetor air intake tubes, to increase airflow to the engine as they operated at higher altitudes than on the Western Front.
Barker's B6313 had both fitted,

Mike

weather1.jpg

weather2.jpg

weather3.jpg

weather4.jpg