How are the Fly Hurricanes?

Southern Bandit

5 hours ago, Southern Bandit said:

Great build Phil, am convinced now, 1/24 will be better for my declining eyes too.

Thanks too, Ade, have dealt with dawngrocery store on Ebay many times and its all come through customs with no charge so far ... going to go have a look just now, really in a Hurricane mood, its a Mk1 I will be looking for but will consider later versions.

Thanks all.

On the Trumpeter Mk.1 I'll just say test the gun/ammo door covers before you commit to glue as they sit a little low of the wing surface and will only sink further once glue is added. I added a thin plasticard shim to the bottom surface of each door, nothing major. Also, part of the wheel well is moulded to the wing half, and you then add the roof as a separate part, now being a large wing in 1/24 and no spar, theres some flex and you can easily pop the join in you hold the kit in the wrong spot when painting, I know this to be fact as I've done it. Why I did on the second one I built was added some strength to the join by gluing some sprue off cuts across the join, I might even have gone overkill and used Araldite. Those are the only things that stick out in my memory with the Trumpeter kits as being close to troublesome. I plan to buy a couple more in the future as my original builds are gone now. 

8 hours ago, ade rowlands said:

On the Trumpeter Mk.1 I'll just say test the gun/ammo door covers before you commit to glue as they sit a little low of the wing surface and will only sink further once glue is added. I added a thin plasticard shim to the bottom surface of each door, nothing major. Also, part of the wheel well is moulded to the wing half, and you then add the roof as a separate part, now being a large wing in 1/24 and no spar, theres some flex and you can easily pop the join in you hold the kit in the wrong spot when painting, I know this to be fact as I've done it. Why I did on the second one I built was added some strength to the join by gluing some sprue off cuts across the join, I might even have gone overkill and used Araldite. Those are the only things that stick out in my memory with the Trumpeter kits as being close to troublesome. I plan to buy a couple more in the future as my original builds are gone now. 

I had the same thing too.

Now PB is back on my build thread I posted previously I can see I added card to spread the gun cowl and also a shim of card under the main flaps to bring them up level with the wing.

I also added the glass "windows" in the floor (for the pilot to check U/C retraction) which are blank plates on the kit plus a few other bits and pieces which are much easier to do in 1/24th.

Great review, I opened my Fly IIc box yesterday to fondle all the parts, and damn...the detail on the exterior is freakin beautiful. I will build this kit, even with all the challenges, it just takes a little old time modeling craftsmanship to bring it all together. In reality, once you get the cockpit assembled, the rest is not so bad. 

If you do fancy a pop at the Fly offering, I can concur with some of the comments on the kit, relating to fit etc. That said, if your prepared to put in the mileage they come out well and look like a Hurricane...... 

They are most certainly not a shake and bake offering. 

39411791801_440715a7dc_b.jpgDSC_5750 

25541483388_1b2ff049a8_b.jpgDSC_5758 

38533281765_7826e206ef_b.jpgDSC_5761

39411759171_b04c667f8e_b.jpgDSC_5759 

One other thing, despite the way the decal sheet looks in the kit i.e thick and unworkable, they are some of the best decals ive worked with. 

I really like the Trumpy 24th Hurricane and whilst I am assured it is more accurate than the Airfix 1/24th (and I have 3 Trumpy's in the stash) I will go with the Airfix offering as the surface details is just so much better than the divots everywhere on the Trumpy versions. 

But each to their own.

Edited by crobinsonh