Aratech Repulsor 74-Z Military Speeder Bike - FINISHED!

Out2gtcha

Thanks. I think that keeping the paint off of the flexible black rubberized plastic is a good idea overall.

Im hoping because the MRP evaps and self levels so nicely and it being acrylic it wont effect it.

I'm going to test a few areas of the MRP OD I'm going to apply on the white plastic to be sure before moving flank speed ahead

You should be fine with lacquer. I've used Mr Color on my builds and the color call outs Bandai lists are Mr Color numbers. 

Although they're not Star Wars kits, Mr Color makes specific paint sets for other Bandai kits such as Space Battleship Yamato and of course, Gundam. So I think you'll be safe. 

Here's my Vehicle Collection Star Destroyer painted with Gunze Gundam white.  I used Mig Dark Wash on it.

IMG_20180815_154630-L.jpg

To give you an idea of its size next to the paint I used .

IMG_20180815_154702-L.jpg

Carl

Don't use enamel paints on any of the rubbery bits. It'll never dry and makes a goodly mess. 

I forgot, Wave makes a tool specifically for prying apart these snap kits so that you can actually test fit them. It's fairly inexpensive too (around $5) so if you have a bunch of these kits it may worth getting one. 

For what it's worth, I've built 4 of them now with lacquer paints, acrylic, and plenty of oil based color filters and washes.  Certainly have had zero issues with plastic cracking or getting messed up in any way.

But it's interesting that some people have had issues.

My order for the new B-wing is about to happen, along with the A-wing.

On August 15, 2018 at 3:57 PM, BloorwestSiR said:

Don't use enamel paints on any of the rubbery bits. It'll never dry and makes a goodly mess. 

I forgot, Wave makes a tool specifically for prying apart these snap kits so that you can actually test fit them. It's fairly inexpensive too (around $5) so if you have a bunch of these kits it may worth getting one. 

An old trick of gundam builders is to simply snip the attachment pegs on a diagonal, so they don't gip so effectively.

That way you can assemble the kit completely and still tear it down for painting, which is how most gundam builders do it.

There are many good gundam build videos on Youtube, particularly from Plamo Tsukurou.  If you watch a few of them you'll see how these Japanese master gundam builders go about doing things.  Very educational.

Thanks gents!  These are the types of tips that are all good to have before starting. 

Pretty much exactly opposite of my last resin Extra 330 build, Ive just been flying by the seat of my pats w/this one! It fits SO well that its kind of a dream. Plus, as Im doing a fictional Clone Trooper in camo and black, I can improvise as I need.

Sorry for the lack of updates lately, but Ive been sanding and filling and painting, albeit nothing really photography worthy, up until last night. I got all the Troopers body parts glued together individually, and have sprayed on the dark color that on normal Troopers is black.

On my "Forrest Trooper" I wanted something a bit different, and something more earthen. So I sanded and filled all the panels between glued parts on the black parts then I took and sprayed them with MRP-77 "Nato Black" which has a lot more red and brown in it, and has a much more distinct brown over-tone to the black. 

You can see the OOB black plastic on the right, and the MRP-77 painted part on the left. The light does enhance the brown tones, but its a bit more subtle in person VS true black, but still pretty noticable:

20180818_000911-XL.jpg

I then took a look at the OOB base set up and clipped it off its sprues and had a start on getting the base competed. I really wanted to modify the base but ONLY modify the base with what I had on hand, as I wanted to show what could be done with these REALLY nice Bandai kits OOB (other than my choice of paints and decals that is).

Bandai gives you a choice of a basic flat base for the trooper, and and arm that comes up to hold the bike in place, and then a very simple forest floor type base with a partial tree base sticking up out of it that a clear part attaches to, to hold the speeder "bike in-flight" so to speak. 

OOB it is just a grayish brown base with a partial tree on it and a clear peg to support the bike (I forgot to take a pic OOB so this is grabbed off the net):

Bandai-Star-Wars-6-Inch-Plastic-Model-Ki

This was never going to do IMHO, as I have a love of dio stuff, and plenty of dio groundwork and diorama accessories so I dug into my dio drawer and started to have a go at the OOB base and tree.

I started off with the tree section, and added some basic high and low lights after spraying it with some MRP PC-12 then a wash of oil to bring out the lowlights,  some black shadows, then painted the molded on vine green and added some rain sheen via some gloss at the base and kept the top section flat. 

Still lots and LOTS to go on the tree:

20180819_153206-XL.jpg

I then took the base and got into that, starting off with some base colors, greens and other browns for highlights,  as well as the beginnings of weeds growing, then some puddles added for the wet rain-forest-like effect. I also added a fallen log cut from a piece of balsa wood then highlighted and textured with a needle and file and some rocks/boulders from my selection of rail road scenery ballast:

20180819_153101-XL.jpg

20180819_153107-XL.jpg

20180819_153155-XL.jpg

The "log" and tree will both eventually get some bright green moss growing on one side where the green paint currently is:

20180819_153138-XL.jpg

The water effect is a two part clear epoxy for said purpose that I have had extremely good luck with.  I also added some algae type colors to the very deepest depressions in the base, and when these got filled with the "water" they turned a very cool and deep looking green/blue that really adds to the illusion IMHO:

20180819_153147-XL.jpg

20180819_153133-XL.jpg

Ill likely finish up the base tonight, and now that all the seams are dry on the white parts, I can start sanding those down and Ill spray the OD color on those tonight or tomorrow night.

Cheers till ur older!