Bf110G4 NJG4 1944/45 FINISHED!!!!! YIPPEE.

mozart

Thanks Shawn and Andy.  Just to make life a little more interesting, and more work, I've decided to cut the elevators away so that I can pose them slightly "elevated"!

JgGaSx.jpg

These two chaps obviously have a problem that is taxing their minds, one has lost his head and had to sit down!

gIo1tV.jpg

3 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Planning on cutting and dropping all the control surfaces on my next 110 Max so interesting to see how you get on.

Regards. Andy 

Actually Andy it was easier than I'd anticipated though the elevators have a gap at the hinge point that needs filling:

geBhFG.jpg

The curved blade helped a lot; I scribed lightly with it from the top edge, gradually increasing the pressure until, when I turned the piece over I could see the whitened "stress lines" where the plastic was being cut through.  I then attacked these lines with a straight blade until the cut was completed.  The plastic is quite soft so cuts easily.

Nl7Lno.jpg

I did a 1/48th Bf110G4 (Revell/Monogram) some time ago using a Verlinden conversion set which had all the control surfaces including the flaps.  I also had the Cutting Edge conversion set for the nacelles, props and spinners so major, major surgery was called for!  Thing is, I've never seen a photograph of a "parked" Bf110 with the flaps down....perhaps like Spitfires a fineable offence!

1 hour ago, Shawn M said:

that'll look the biz when you're done

I hope so Shawn, though the picture I have in my head of the finished dio doesn't always quite happen! :)

6 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Great work so far Max! I've got some photos of mechanics working on DB engines. I'll look for those as it might give you some ideas on how to prepare your display.

Alain

Thanks Alain, photos like those are always of interest and would be much appreciated. I've been through Vasco's book on the Bf110C,D and E so many times and almost every time I see some detail that I've missed before! 

6 hours ago, chrish said:

Hi Max, will you be deploying the leading edge slats as well?

No plans for further surgery Chris; like flaps it seems the leading edge slats aren't often deployed when on the ground.

Empennage finished for now, the PE actuating rods for the trim tabs will be added a bit later.  Whilst it's true to say that there is a very slight mismatch between the height of the fin and the rudder, the latter being a mm or so short, I decided to sand the lower edge of the fin rather than build up the rudder, much simpler and quicker.  A swipe or two with a sanding stick had it sorted in no time:

JJIqFf.jpg

9k6vnJ.jpg

bEWw8k.jpg

I'm very tempted to paint the assembly  after the PE is done because it's so easy to handle at this stage, we'll see. 

Edited by mozart

This tiny triangle of PE is supposed to be folded along its length to make the streamlined "shroud" for the trim tab actuator rod:

wQsYlP.jpg

I know that I don't have the skill to do this to any type of acceptable standard, so I made my own from a piece of oval section rod suitably modified:

d4k9vh.jpg

Whilst that's setting I moved on to the underwing radiators - John provides the main housing but the kit radiators and flaps are used.  He talks in his instructions of chain drilling  the wing to accommodate the deeper radiator but I didn't find that necessary:

obyTcd.jpg

GL7VyL.jpg

AFRgR4.jpg

All's a very precise fit but as usual it's worthwhile taking time to test, trim and fit as many times as necessary to get the optimum fit.

Edited by mozart

Hi Max,

Here are 2 photos that could be of help. Note that these DB engines are for Bf109s but I don't think this makes any difference in the way they were worked on.

QVzWiFy.jpg

mDKRtbw.jpg

These were scanned from a book called "The Fighting Me 109" by Uwe Fest, published in1988.

Note the four legs made of bent steel sheet, bolted to the first and last exhausts on each side. In the top photo they are resting on the cover of the engine crate.

This is very typical of the way the engines were worked on.

Alain